Nostalga Is The Winner

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
From the out set I am biased toward the 30-06 for nostalgic reasons. Nostalgia weighs in on some of the opinions and that's ok. So let's begin by saying that the 308 is a fine cartridge and can hit targets far off and most of that depends on the shooter no matter which one of the two cartridges you are using.

With my Kimber 8400 Montana chambered in 30-06, I hit a coyote at 426yds (ranged shot) in a freshly plowed cotton field using a 165gr Game King HPBT. You can hit long shots with a 30-06 just as easy if not easier considering the flatter trajectory, less time getting to the target due to the velocities I was getting with that load moving a 3002fps. Is it so flat that the 30-06 has an advantage over the 308? N0!!!!!!

When it comes to push and shove I can out run and hit harder than a 308 if I am hand-loading or using the light mag ammo. Big difference? NO!!!!! With the powders of today, the great bullet selection a person would be hard pressed to find a cartridge that is more versatile and provides more possibilities for hunting a wider range of game than the 30-06. Is the 30-06 more versatile than the 308? YES!!!

Guys like Page, Swank, Whelen, Waters did very well using the 30-06 and some of these men carried it and used it on big game in North America and Africa. Let's consider Hosea Sarber as an example, a Alaskan guide and warden, whom Jack O'Connor once said had killed more grizzlies than (Jack O'Connor) had ever seen using a 172gr bullet.

Also, there was Wendell Swank, a man who carried a 30-06 around East Africa collecting game specimen simply because it was the rifle most familiar to him. Oh, Swank did real good, taking the smaller animals with 150gr Sierra. But what was amazing was Dr. George Petrides who took just about everything from kob, wart hogs, and hartebeest, to lion, buffalo and hippos at ranges up to nearly 200yds. Not to mention Andy Russell, Myles Brown, Frank Golata, Alf Madsen, Jay Williams, Bill Rae and Bill Ruger are other men who have taken the 30-06 to Africa.

If it worked in Africa and in North America on big dangerous game then I am sure it has earned a place that the 308 will never occupy. Now add to that the new improved bullets and new powders that allows us to drive bullets out of the 30-06 at 300H&H levels.

In closing it was Stewart Edward White who said, "The 30-06 was as effective on lions as the big .405 Winchester." The 30-06 is like a good horse, that won't surprise you when the terrain and conditions change. The 30-06 is a very dependable, hard hitting, accurate cartridge that does not surprise you but just works hard and gets the job done. I like both the 30-06 and the 308 and what they are used for they are the best of the best, the most practical of the practical, the most used of the used in my opinion.

I really like the 30-06, it was my first big game caliber. I used it for WT deer, Black Bear, Antelope and high power competition. Far a all around caliber in NA, its tough to beat.

JD338

Big Squeeze":10my6msz said:
I find that very interesting and certainly true!...Hmmmm! :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I new you would find humor in my latest work and cartridge and I see you have taken advantage of it to illustrate a point you are quit found of - :lol: :lol: :wink: Now as much as I love the 30-06 don't think I am neglecting the lightening result of my 22-250 on varmints and the speed of my 300Wby and the thump of my 375Wby. It sure is fun to love so many fine cartridges that we all have access to and able to use. :lol: 8)

A final note to my initial post:

I do not think in my limited opinion of 28yrs of hand loading the 30-06 that we have really seen it's potential in accuracy nor velocity with the new steel used in receivers and barrels, powders, primers, stronger brass and new bullet designs. I believe there will be a lot of discovery and a very long life left with the 30-06. I have experienced some discovery that has me really excited about the possibilities of the 30-06. It is one real enduring cartridge that is just a plain work horse and never lets up in it's possibility of improvement and it is far from giving up. Some call it obsolete but that is only because they don't really know the the 30-06 nor have they taken time to learn it's true nature. It will out live some of the new short cartridges and will continue in my opinion to please and amaze us with it's enduring potential. To put it plainly, even though they had an idea of what they wanted, I am not sure those who came up with the design of the 30-06 really knew in depth what they had finally created.

bullet; great post. I wouldn't trade of sell my two 30-06's. Well maybe for aludiccrous amount of money. :grin: :grin:

russ808":1b0vwe75 said:
bullet; great post. I wouldn't trade of sell my two 30-06's. Well maybe for aludiccrous amount of money. :grin: :grin:

Yeah, don't sell them. I had five that I wish over the years I had not sold but I did have fun with the cartridges and rifles I replaced them with. As far as the 06 is concerned it along with the 300Wby are my two favorite cartridges and the 375Wby if it fills my expectations will become one of my favorite cartridges also.

My 2 cents: I agree! Love my 06 in fact here is a picture mine. :grin:

Picture007.jpg

trays7940, that is a nice looking laminated stock, very striking.

bullet":1mrnbz8a said:
Big Squeeze":1mrnbz8a said:
I find that very interesting and certainly true!...Hmmmm! :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I new you would find humor in my latest work and cartridge and I see you have taken advantage of it to illustrate a point you are quit found of - :lol: :lol: :wink: Now as much as I love the 30-06 don't think I am neglecting the lightening result of my 22-250 on varmints and the speed of my 300Wby and the thump of my 375Wby. It sure is fun to love so many fine cartridges that we all have access to and able to use. :lol: 8)
.......................It just so happens that my 1st rifle from my dad @ 9 years old was,,, a 22" tubed M/70 30-06! Shot my first deer and a few more deer with that rifle + hundreds of range rounds! ...............My parents divorced when I was 15 in 1967. Haven`t seen my dad or that rifle since...............No humor or advantage was intended.

Big Squeeze":11w6wsis said:
bullet":11w6wsis said:
Big Squeeze":11w6wsis said:

.......................It just so happens that my 1st rifle from my dad @ 9 years old was,,, a 22" tubed M/70 30-06! Shot my first deer and a few more deer with that rifle + hundreds of range rounds! ...............My parents divorced when I was 15 in 1967. Haven`t seen my dad or that rifle since...............No humor or advantage was intended.

Hey, my dad left when I was six years old and I taught myself how to hunt and all those years wished he would have been there. I know the feeling my friend. But here is how I feel about all my memories expressed in this line I wrote not long ago.

Yes, the next canyon, across the next stream, up the next ridge and over the top of that mountain, through the next swamp, as I walk between the tall trees feeling the gentle breeze of a cool day in October in search of another memory to share with my friends and keep until I die. By: Mike Price (bullet)
By: Mike Price :)

Back