Now How Anal Is That???

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Now How Anal Is That???

I just loaded ten deer hunting loads for my 300Win mag 165gr HPBT, 74grs IMR4350, Rem brass, 250CCI primers. I weighted everything but the primers - I weighed the bullets, brass and powder. The average weight of the ten rounds was 481.26grs the extreme for the 10 rounds was .9grs - Highest weight being 481.6grs and lowest being 480.7grs Now if your throw out the top and lowest weight the average was 481.2875grs. If you subtract the two averages you get .0275grs. In other words, I have just about perfection when it comes to the weight of my loads. Now, how anal is that??? :) :) :)

bullet,
It may be anal but I'm sure the results will be very rewarding. Good looking groups on paper don't just happen in the real reloading world, even with hunting loads. Good job buddy.

Don

DON":28z19kbl said:
bullet,
It may be anal but I'm sure the results will be very rewarding. Good looking groups on paper don't just happen in the real reloading world, even with hunting loads. Good job buddy.

Don

Don, Thanks, I always do this with my hunting loads, that is one of the reasons I get such good and consistent groups out of my rifles. The tighter I can get my groups at the bench will help me out in the field to place shots right where I want them to go.

Its not called anal. Its called rocket science. Ya aint alone. One load for each rifle. Thats silly. I have a load for every 130,140 and 150 270 nosler bullet made and the 160 Partition is next up. Well I guess it really is a little anal. :) :) :) :)

I will start a reloading session with 50 pieces of brass (same brand). Once they are cleaned, de-primed, primer pocket cleaned and reamed and the flash hole uniformed and the case trimmed to length, I weight them. I select the group that has the most pieces of brass with identical weights and continue the process with the bullets. I weigh each of them and choose the largest batch of identical weights. I then reweigh the powder charge. I do nothing with the primers. They are what they are, nothing I can go about them. Once I have them all assembled the weights are typically and for the most part identical. That is why my Std. Dev. is typically 4 - 7fps out of my 300Win Mag. Now that is Anal ! LOL

hubcap":1qqjndwq said:
Its not called anal. Its called rocket science. Ya aint alone. One load for each rifle. Thats silly. I have a load for every 130,140 and 150 270 nosler bullet made and the 160 Partition is next up. Well I guess it really is a little anal. :) :) :) :)

Yes, just go ahead and admit it LOL

Thats pretty good bullet. I weigh each charge but I don't weigh my brass or bullets. Maybe I should do that, it might help my groups. :idea:

JD338

Every little bit helps and surprises are not something I look forward to. But, yeah you're anal :mrgreen:
But I do weigh each elk before loading them in the locker :lol:
Greg

Greg Nolan":1sg0scvf said:
Every little bit helps and surprises are not something I look forward to. But, yeah you're anal :mrgreen:
But I do weigh each elk before loading them in the locker :lol:
Greg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That is so cool, man you made me hurt myself :mrgreen:

That sounds like a task for the dead of winter, not the beginning of summer!

There are times when being a butthead pays off!!!

Anal, bullpucky!! Everyone else is just sloppy... 8)

Me, I border on OCD... Lol....

Rod

BK":2cnu0h3c said:

What is winter where I live ???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nodak7mm":jx574vc0 said:
There are times when being a butthead pays off!!!

Anal, bullpucky!! Everyone else is just sloppy... 8)

Me, I border on OCD... Lol....

Rod

Yes, I understand :)

bullet":1q2dnok6 said:
BK":1q2dnok6 said:

What is winter where I live ???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK, good point.

That's when the rain is only luke-warm, not all the way warm, right? :lol:

Bullet I just re-read your post. If you weight sort nosler bullets thats double anal. You don,t need that step for the best bullets in the world. If your weight sorting other brands that is wise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, I have never done that. Might be something I give a try one of these days, just to see what it nets in shooting. That is surely some really fine attention to detail. Might have to invest in a digital scale before I start. Might not have all them weighed before deer season! :lol: Scotty

hubcap":m0j1euhu said:
Bullet I just re-read your post. If you weight sort nosler bullets thats double anal. You don,t need that step for the best bullets in the world. If your weight sorting other brands that is wise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No that is not really true. Noslers have more of a variation in bullets in a box than do Sierra. I should know I have weighed enough of them, and the variation in any box made by anyone can give you a slight flyer. :)

bullet":8hd3cbi9 said:
Now How Anal Is That???

I just loaded ten deer hunting loads for my 300Win mag 165gr HPBT, 74grs IMR4350, Rem brass, 250CCI primers. I weighted everything but the primers - I weighed the bullets, brass and powder. The average weight of the ten rounds was 481.26grs the extreme for the 10 rounds was .9grs - Highest weight being 481.6grs and lowest being 480.7grs Now if your throw out the top and lowest weight the average was 481.2875grs. If you subtract the two averages you get .0275grs. In other words, I have just about perfection when it comes to the weight of my loads. Now, how anal is that??? :) :) :)

Oh hell no!

Got too many guns and not enough time! :shock: :shock:

FOTIS":vk6nxoe5 said:
bullet":vk6nxoe5 said:
Now How Anal Is That???

Oh hell no!

Got too many guns and not enough time! :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bullet,
It's called consistency and boy you sure have that.

Don

Back