Now, I REALLY feel old

Europe":1r8wl6um said:
Dr Mike, everyone says, wow those were cheap rifles, but what the young fellows who say that dont realize, we didn't make as much back then. I remember thinking that if I could make 100 dollars a week or 400 a month, I would be in deep clover. Now Fotis spends more than that each month on Nosler bullets for his Weatherby's --

Ha! My first post-doc position gave me $8,000/yr., which meant I was being paid the princely sum of around $667/mo for 14-16 hr days, including Saturdays to harvest ovaries for extracting follicular fluid for my research. Rent (in San Francisco) was $450/mo and travel on BART and bus accounted for around $5/day. It didn't leave much over. And I thought I was chopping in high cotton! It was so much better than the $225/mo I had received in pre-doc stipends. Oh, yeah, life was good. (y)

I have a Nylon 66 that was my Grandpas. Sucker is like new, he was more of a shotgun guy than a .22 guy. It has a old Weaver scope on it. It's a good shooter, it has an excellent trigger, I don't know why. We get it out when the sun is shining and reminisce.

April I do remember them as a young kid when they were new, and thought how cool they looked for that time period! I never owned one though.

I did however have a Marlin 39A, and a High Standard Supermatic Tournament Military Pistol which I still have from that era. The Marlin got sold when I got older, although I did love it for hunting, and plinking. The High Standard will die with me!

Great pictures. I have one in my safe... it pretty much stays there.
This one doesn’t shoot well, but I’ve never looked at it close. Hearing others say theirs shoots, maybe the the barrel is being pressured by the stock...future project. I’ll ask about the block. My father in law bought it new when they came out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never owned a Nylon 66 but I saw them and knew about them. I have shot .22 short, long, and long rifle. When I was a kid I bought the .22 short as it as super cheap and that's what I used to help cut down on the crow and magpie population.

April, I had a model 66 back in the mid 60's and can't remember how many rounds I put through it. It never malfunctioned and I eventually taught my son the fine points of target shooting with it. It is safely residing in his gun safe and comes out occasionally for his daughters to shoot. I have a feeling it will probably be used to teach his daughter's family the fine points of shooting.

I did not know that there was ever a rifle made that could only shoot 22 shorts, or that the general public was at one time able to shoot them at Disneyland. Interesting thread and pictures

I have an old broken 22 made by J. Stevens Arm and Tool company that says 22 short on it. Also I believe I shot at the Disney arcade in 1956 but maybe it was somewhere else as they were common.

As stated by 69GTO every carnival and fair had a shooting gallery back in the day ( with live ammo ) and they were always busy. Besides Disneyland, Knotts Berry farm had them, as did a lot of other places in the good old days of yesteryear. Although the Rem Nylon was well represented in those Galleries, so was the Win 62 A.

Bruce, my son tells me that it was the "10" that had a few smooth barrel rifles produced or maybe he was thinking of Bo Derek

David, your crow and magpie story reminded me of a story of my youth. A cousin was visiting from the city and wanted to learn to shoot. We were probably around 10 at the time. We had one of those large barns that attracts all kinds off birds into it. We came back from the creek and was in the barn and he saw some birds and he started to shoot them and I yelled at him not to shoot them or we would be in big trouble. He asked why and I told him because we are inside the barn and shooting at them will put holes in the roof---city kids LOL

Earle, Rodger, Gerry--on a different thread you fellows were talking about how bad the weather was/is----I spoke to Cheyenne recently and she said if the opportunity arose to tell you guys to get a grip, you dont have any snow at all ( all three of you of course knows she is just joking with you )

I may be gone awhile fellows as I am going to get a lube, tune up and oil change, hope to be back feeling like a young person ( well I would settle to feel like I was 60 anyway lol )

thanks for the thread and the information. No, I can not imagine a live ammo Gallery at Disneyland today

Good luck at Jiffy Lube, hope to "see you" soon

April,
I will post her for you! Here she is, in the day! Certainly a very nicely put togeather package! IMG_2585.JPGIMG_2584.PNGIMG_2583.JPG
From Life magazine their quote:
"the most celebrated curves in the world." (1956) Who am I to argue?

Earle, you dah man

I, as usual, when April and Earle post something, have to look it up. Interesting history about Knotts Berry Farm, rifles manufactured to only shoot 22 shorts ------AND Bridget.

Is Allen the only member we have here who lives in California ? The state and people who live there are certainly going through some strange times right now

I remember when my older brother got one for Christmas around '75..I wasn't old enough for a rifle of my own, so I got a Crossman 760 because they looked so similar.

I still have my 22cal Cooey repeater that I bought used for $18.00 :wink: .
It is apart right now as I am refinishing the stock :shock:.
April please don’t worry about getting old, remember “A Lady is like a fine wine they only get better with age”!! (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back