Ocular lens housing size needed

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So - eventually I will need to put a scope on my 243/ donor rifle. 257 Ackley was super helpful and generous in getting some rings set up (including lapping the rings- I first for me). with all that work I am going to keep them on the rifle. Unfortunately the scope I have sitting around has an occoular bell (eye piece ) that measures 1.71. Its a 3-9x40 Bushnell trophy. The bolt will only clear if the the power change ring is set in a particular way. Fortunately a 3-9x40 VX-II has an eye piece measurement of 1.61 in. It will work. Unfortunately, I cant afford one right now, but lets call it research. Any ideas about a scope that would fit those parameters? Thanks CL

Stay away from the Zeiss Conquest and look carefully before buying a Meopta MeoPro. I know the Burris FullField II has a small diameter ocular, and the Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 are also relatively small. Minox scopes are small in the ocular, for sure. Nikons are all larger, I believe, except perhaps the ProStaff. I know the Buckmasters and Monarchs are. No idea about any of the newer stuff.

I learned all this when I was scoping my Colt Light Rifle. The bolt clearance on that one is slim, for sure. If you can find a used Bushnell Elite 3200 that is confirmed "Made in Japan" you will be very pleased. Or the 4200 of Japanese manufacture. Not sure about the new Elites (perhaps made in China?).

CL, any of the older VXII or VXIII Leupold's have a 1.71 diameter eyepiece on them.

Back