OCW and OBT Load Development

I think you did the 300 test using increments that were too big...

.3 grain increments seem to work best'

Ridgerunner665":jv9kwddc said:

Yes, I agree. that was my original plan. QLl said my max load was 98 grn, Nosler reloading manual said 101.1 grn. So I tried to space them out a bit and see what it would look like. I did .3 grain spreads with IMR 7828ssc also but don't have a pic of that target downloaded yet. It appears to be about the same only the groups are slightly larger.

I need to figure outs what's going on with this gun. It used to shoot way better before I changed the stock and bedded it. Which makes no sense because it was the junk factory sps stock. I used Devcon and the bedding job came out like a dream. I might bed the last inch of the fore end to give it a little pressure up there. I've hear these remmy's like that. Can't hurt that's for sure.

DrMike":2i4hsuym said:
Unless I'm missing something, your .280 load jumps out at you.
Agreed. Take the 57.6 and verify you can duplicate what you see here. If so, load up 1000 or so and forget ever using anything else. :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner665":2i4hsuym said:

On this I would disagree. If you read Dan's papers he talks about percentages and 0.3 grains are smaller than recommended or needed with this caliber. You're just using up barrel life and components needlessly. I use 0.5gr on my 7mm Rem/Wby rifles with no problem and don't jump down to 0.3gr until shooting the 300 Savage, 35 Rem, etc.

For this rifle I would lean toward the 99.9 or the 101.1. When I shoot OCW loads I'll purposely try to triangulate the center of each group as what you're after is centers that print near each other, not group tightness. Your 280 just happens to show both. Dad's 7mmWby did the same with one load - but only after showing no promise with 3 other bullets.

It would be interesting to see a group of 101.7, assuming that's not too high.

Dr. Vette":qu4x6qql said:
DrMike":qu4x6qql said:
Agreed. Take the 57.6 and verify you can duplicate what you see here. If so, load up 1000 or so and forget ever using anything else. :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner665":qu4x6qql said:

On this I would disagree. If you read Dan's papers he talks about percentages and 0.3 grains are smaller than recommended or needed with this caliber. You're just using up barrel life and components needlessly. I use 0.5gr on my 7mm Rem/Wby rifles with no problem and don't jump down to 0.3gr until shooting the 300 Savage, 35 Rem, etc.

For this rifle I would lean toward the 99.9 or the 101.1. When I shoot OCW loads I'll purposely try to triangulate the center of each group as what you're after is centers that print near each other, not group tightness. Your 280 just happens to show both. Dad's 7mmWby did the same with one load - but only after showing no promise with 3 other bullets.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. I've got some Retumbo loaded up in an OCW work-up to try the next nice day we get. I didn't have any pressure signs at 101.1 so I'll work up a few 101.4 and 101.7

Dr. Vette":2dnnnf9o said:
DrMike":2dnnnf9o said:

Ridgerunner665":2dnnnf9o said:

Having never worked with anything bigger than 300 Win Mag for serious load development...I never realized it....you're right, on really big cases .5 grain isn't much.

FWIW, I agree with the guys above.
Be interesting to know the barrel times for the various loads. (I'm being lazy I guess, could run QL and find them :grin: )
Realize it's not what we're talking about here but I'd also want to seat that 101.1 load a hair deeper and see if that doesn't do the trick also.

I use a rounded off 1% for initial powder increments . if I'm working in the 40 ,50,60 grain powder charge amounts I'll use 0.5 grain increments . If I'm working in the 90 ,100 grain area I'll use 1.0 grain increments initially . then I'll fine tune around my sweet spot using smaller increments .

Here's the next fastest node for the 25-06. The low shot was a different brand (FC) of brass that I accidentally loaded up and fired with the lapua. Last load was actually 54.6 gr, hitting the 1.308 node and this load is 56.9 gr hitting 1.228. Would be awesome if it were one hole but I'll take a horizontally strung .75 group.

eb53500d50df73fb3b49a45dc4b35666.jpg

Back