...off the lands.

dakotaelkslayer

Beginner
Dec 1, 2006
I would love to hear some of your actual experiences when playing with seating depths of your bullets. Really would like to hear cases where accuracy was greatly affected and in cases where "it didn't matter."

Jim

I like to get between .015 and .020" off the lands for my best accuracy, max magazine length permitting.
280AI.jpg

JD338

I'm with JD, fifteen to twenty off the lands seems to give me the best results. ( again, when the magazine allows ) My 7-08 seemed to like it the best.
Shooting003.jpg

There are numerous ways to do this, but the easist way I've found so far is.....take a spent case and gently dent the neck to just hold what ever bullet you want to check. Insert the bullet into the neck and take a marker and color the bullet around the neck area. When you close the bolt, the bullet will be pushed back into the neck and the ink will be shaved off the bullet.
If you use different bullets you'll have to do this for each one. Depending on the caliber, don't be supprised if your magazine is the limiting factor. My .300RUM & .260 with 140gr VLD's won't fit the magazine if loaded just off the lands...

I guess i'am a little different, i want my bullets in the lands.
I want a square mark on the bullet, just as wide as its long,
magazine length permitting. the reason i do it is that it starts the bullet out straight with the bore. I bet most of you already knew that. :lol:
Works for me.

I agree with JD and Powerstroke as a rule that where most of my guns seem to run best. But when using the Berger VLDs I find I have to run them right on the lands. I have a .243 that I stared at .020 off and was getting 1.5 groups as I moved to .015 is closed in to about 1 MOA. .010 got sub MOA ( about .87) and running it right into the lans got me under .5 Every gun an bullet is different. My favorite 308 bench gun needs .030 off with 168g Nosler CC.

I always start at .010 off the lands and work from there but usually i don't have to change from that because every rifle i currently own shoots extremely well at .010. The only exception i've run into is with the barnes 130gr tsx in my 30.06. I tried that bullet at .010 and it shot terrible but the farther out i went the better it got and the sweet spot ended up being what barnes recommends as a starting point for that bullet which is at .050 off. I could have saved myself some time and money had i started at .050 to begin with, but hey we live and learn. :)

Back