OK, so I think that I PFL resized my cases

rbwhotrod

Beginner
May 8, 2007
I backed my FL die out 1 .5 turns and then sized a few cases.(once fired nosler brass) Obviously I had to adjust the decapping pin deeper because of this. I chambered the rounds and I could not tell any difference so I backed out the die another 1.5 turns and chambered the round and still could not tell any difference in how the bolt closed.(Am I missing something on this headspacing thing? - other than experience) It's a custom gum 7mm rem mag with a Douglass barrel and a Interarms Mark X action. I'm new at this reloading thing as this is about my 50th round to reload.
Also on another note: is it possible for a 7mm rem mag col to be 3.41, because thats what I'm getting.

Thanks, Rod

You should be able to see where the neck has been resized in the die.
Is there any resistance on the bolt when closing on the resized case?

JD338

I can't feel any resistance when I close the bolt. Thats why I backed it out even further and still didn't feel any resistance

Can you see where anad how far the neck has been resized?

JD338

I think you have the die backed out to far. Here is how I set up my dies for PFL. I copied this from another site, it explains PFL sizing better than I can.

1. Put the Shell Holder in the press and raise the ram.

2. Screw the Full Length(FL) Die into the press so it is about a "nickle's thickness" above the Shell Holder.

3. Lube a "Fired" case (walls and inside the neck) and squash it.

4. Remove the Lube and try closing the bolt on it in the chamber.

5. If the bolt closes with no resistance, screw the FL Die into the press about 1/8-1/4 turn and repeat steps 3 & 4.

6. As you feel the resistance begin, slow down how much you screw the FL Die into the press so you are at about 1/16 of a turn, or "Fine Tuning". At some point you will not be able to close the bolt and you are extremely close to having the FL Die in the proper position.
NOTE: The reason for this is because the FL Die has begun Resizing the Case-walls down to the Pressure Ring. As it does so, the Case-body lengthens slightly which in turn moves the Case-shoulder slightly forward. Then as the "Fine Tuning" continues the Case-shoulder makes contact with the FL Die and is moved slightly reward(or slightly shortens the Case-head to Case-shoulder dimension).

7. Stop when there is a slight bit of resistance when closing the bolt on the empty case. You now have a "slight crush fit" for the case in that specific chamber, or Zero Headspace.

8. Once you get it where you want it, take some masking tape or a black marker and put a Witness Mark where the FL Die Lock Ring is positioned to hold the FL Die in this position. Loosen the FL Die and return the Lock Ring to align with the Witness Mark and sung up the Set-Screw.Screw the FL Die back into the press and try squashing another case. It should have the same resistance as the previous one. If not, you need to re-adjust the Lock Ring so it does. But you are extremely close to where you want it, so make very small changes at this point.Occasionally check the fit of the cases in the chamber, say every 5th firing just to make sure nothing has slipped. Checking more often won't hurt anything and give you confidence that the Set-Up is still proper.You have now Set-Up the FL Die to P-FLR and will have the very best opportunity at having long case life and the very best accuracy possible.

Your OAL of 3.410" is about right if your using a VLD bullet...

The OAL I get with 162g SST, and 160g AB is right at 3.365"

With 162g AMAX or 168g VLD, my OAL is 3.450"

140g NBT OAL is 3.350"

These are all right at the lands in my rifle, which is a Rem 700..

The factory OAL is 3.290" which is just a guideline so that all factory ammo will fit in any 7 RM...

I dont know a thing about PFL resizing, so cant help you there...I just FL size and dont worry about it..If your that woried about it, just buy a Neck sizing die...

It looks like the neck is sized about 3/4ths the way down

remingtonman_25_06 I'm loading 140 grain ballistic tips does col of 3.41 seem long

Steve 4102 This helps me to have a better understanding. I was definately doing it wrong because I did not completely understand the process. I will keep trying
Thanks

]NOTE: The reason for this is because the FL Die has begun Resizing the Case-walls down to the Pressure Ring. As it does so, the Case-body lengthens slightly which in turn moves the Case-shoulder slightly forward. Then as the "Fine Tuning" continues the Case-shoulder makes contact with the FL Die and is moved slightly reward(or slightly shortens the Case-head to Case-shoulder dimension).

Well since you have a custom barrel, it's going to be different then factory specs...It doens't seem to out of wack though, my 140's are seated to 3.350" in a facotry rifle, I"m betting your throat is longer, which allows you to seat the bullets out a little bit more...If your getting 3.410" as your length, by all means start there. That way you only have to work your way down with seating depth...Usually though, right at the lands or .010"-.020" off is where you'll find best accuracy...

You don't set the FL die to PFL until your cases get tight to chamber. Just neck size until then.Rick.

remingtonman_25_06 I'm loading 140 grain ballistic tips does col of 3.41 seem long

I`m not Remingtonman_25_06, but I`d like to suggest you check the cartridges you have at 3.41" for fit in your magazine. The SAAMI COL for the 7mm mag is 3.290" and this is the lenght the factories normally use as a guide for their mags. The longer lenght may not fit in yours makeing it a single shot.

Back