Old School - I scored!!

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I purchased a Savage 99 - 300 Sav from my brother-n-law who got it from some one who owed him $$. He shot a couple of coyotes with it and it sat for a couple of years.
After buying a collectors book and online research, it was built in 1950. Unfortunately is was drilled for Weaver bases so there goes the collectors value.
I remember hunting / tagging along with my grandfather in the early '70s and he carried this exact rifle and shot deer in Northern Minnesota. I've always thought if I ran across one I would buy it for nostalgia. My dad remembers as a kid grandpa killing one of his largest whitetail with it.
The gun is in great shape with slight rubs - no blueing. I replaced the stock. I bought a combed stock to raise my eye to a Leupold VX2 3x9x40 that I had laying around. It was 90% finished, I had to finish the shape and wood to metal fit. Of course then put a finish on it.
I'm pleased with the result and with factory 150gn CL it shoots just fine.
I plan on filling the doe tag this fall with it. I'm sure grandpa is smiling on this one.
I'll get a pic this eve and get it posted.

I have one that was built in 1959 and it was factory drilled and taped for a scope. Mine had a cracked stock and I repaired and refinished it. I haven't shot mine yet but I plan to soon.

Glad you were able to get it! Very awesome. They are some great shooter's too.. I need to get mine back out and really zero it. Be cool to smoke a deer with it this Fall.

I have shot a bunch of Remington coreloc 150's over the chronograph. Out of a couple 24" mod 99 savages. very consistent ammo 2650fps. Hard to improve

A Model 99 chambered in 300 Savage--that is a great find. The cartridge was/is highly underrated; it will work wonders on deer.

Back