One day moose hunt

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Was able to get out yesterday for a day of moose hunting, in my area of B.C. if you don't get a limited entry permit the season is only from October 20-26th. We have one spot in particular that doesn't get too much pressure but if an animal is downed it can be a pretty long pack out. My brother a friend and myself went out and I was able to bag a young bull, we all worked our way into a semi open hillside full of poplar and birch and hunted fairly close to each other. I worked carefully in and all of a sudden I could see the back end of the moose beside a clump of trees. He trotted away but I couldn't get a good shot at him so when he dissapeared behind a clump of cedar trees I sprinted down to cut him off. As I came around one group of trees he popped out from behind another clump around 50 yards away, I shot him in the chest as quickly as I could he took off fast but I knew he wouldn't get far. He only made it about 30-40 yards and was pretty much done by the time I got there. I used my 35 Whelen on this hunt using 225 gr Accubonds. Will post a picture of the recovered bullet later it looks really good.

Fallmoosehunting2011076.jpg

Fallmoosehunting2011078.jpg

Here is what the hillside looks like from where the bull was downed.

Fallmoosehunting2011081.jpg

This guy had a cool drop tine.

Fallmoosehunting2011082.jpg

Congratulations, Gerry. He looks as if he will give you some fine cuts of meat. Now, I wonder where my forky is hiding?

Here is the recovered 225 gr AccuBond fired from a 35 Whelen impact velocity should be around 2675-2700 fps. It weighs 191 gr (84.9%) .710" diameter.

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

gerry

Congratulations on your bull moose, he should be perfect table fare.
Nice recovery of the 225 gr AB from the 35 Whelen.

JD338

The AccuBond performed just as it is supposed to. Can't help but enjoy seeing the pictures of recovered bullets.

Outstanding! Congratulations on the moose, and thank you for sharing those photos. Impressive bullet performance, and I can't think of a better use for a .35 Whelen!

Gerry,
Congratulations on your success. I shoot the same load in my Whelen. I see it did a great job on your Moose. Gotta love those 35's!!

Don

I'm sure he will taste good, will try some tomorrow :) It was a long pack out I'm still sore, a small price to pay for having a freezer full of moose meat. Even a young bull is big you just don't throw them over you shoulder and carry them out :) I sure am glad though he wasn't a big guy. This is the first moose in 7 years for me, however I didn't hunt them too much in that time I concentrated on hunting goats, sheep and deer more. I forgot how much of a rush it is to get a bull at close range though I'm still pumped about it.

Congrats, great moose, sure big up in northern BC for a youngster. Come nov 3rd my girls will get there chance at a couple I hope . :grin:

Hopefully your girls can bag some moose themselves, where abouts will you be hunting?

Congrats on that fine specimen and for the effort! So the 35 won out over the 375? I think he was feeling a little neglected since the KING came around. :)

BCbillies":3lmbg3aj said:
Congrats on that fine specimen and for the effort! So the 35 won out over the 375? I think he was feeling a little neglected since the KING came around. :)

It was time to break out the Whelen again, the 375 Ruger would be great in that spot with it's 20" barrel and the wood stock would be quiter in the brush. The Browns Precision stock is pretty loud when willows or branches scrape against it but all worked out well. You need to bag a moose one day, the Houge stock on your 375 would be quiet as well, enough chasing those sheep and goats it's time to branch out a bit ;) BTW maybe you could put up a post on the nice critter you shot this summer.

Back