Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 284 Winchester-150gr

• 30-06 Springfield-165gr

• 338-06 A-Square-210gr

• Total voters
The 338 Win is not a bad choice. That said I would personally prefer a flatter shooter.

definately the 06 of the ones in the poll, but I would go with a 300 win mag as an all around. I REALLY like the 338 RUM too. I just wish more rifles were chambered in it. The only one that I can regularly find is the XCR and I just don't want to spend that extra couple hundred dollars for the protective finish, especially because I will have several modifications done to it and it will be impossible to match the finish.

My gun safe is "filled" with three types of meat makers. A .30-06 for anything with hooves, a .22 LR for squirrels and rabbits, and a 12 gauge shotgun for things that fly. Even out west you don't have to own an arsenal to keep the freezer full.

Of the above?????? The 30-06!!!!.......................But my 1st choice would be the 300 Win. over the `06.............Big Squeeze!

Why do I have to choose just one? I own most of them and like them all this is just no fun. I guess if I had to choose just one I'd have to go with the tried and true .30-06 (big suprise). I'd still rather hunt with my .270 with 130-150 grain bullets.

270win I would match loads to the game at hand it will do it all. 140's for most everthing, 150's for elk & black bear, and 160's for bison.

Mags are for both flatter shooting and having enough retained energy at extream long range for bullet expantion They have no added value for shots less than 350 yards. If the bullet expands and has enough momentun to penitrates 100% any energy value attached to it is meningless. If ya dout this just figure what little energy a arrow has and they are lethal.

The 30-06 is not my favorite caliber by any stretch, I don't even own one anymore. It is however, the best one gun caliber for the guy that shoots 3 shots at a beer can and 1 at his buck at 45 yds. Not to underestimate this caliber. It is a potent caliber out to 600 possibly 800yds with the right scope and load. I just prefer a 308 with 165grn lead or 168 smk's. From the list the 06 wins hands down, availibility of ammo is great, and it doesn't deflect as bad as the laser flat shooting 270. Lots of stopping power for 300 yds or less. Better place your shots carefully tho, a 150 gr in the vitals on WT deer will ruin a LOT of meat. If you want to shoot farther than that, IMO, you have no right to shoot farther than you have practised and reached MOA groups. No matter what caliber you are using. And guys that practise past the 300m line most often have more than one gun cuz we like that stuff :grin: . And it doesn't need a reason. That having been said, I strongly agree with using enough gun. I started hunting in Manitoba Canada where anything centerfire is legal and tracked alot of deer due to 22-250's and 22 Hornet's. Not because the 22's can't kill a deer, but because a 22whatever and buckfever doesn't always.

Happy hunting everybody.

Back