One Less Coyote

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Just passing time at the camp waiting for an afternoon hunt, after another lousy A zone opening morning, when this coyote presented itself at 480 yards. Everyone at the camp want's to see the 338 Lapua in action. So with a little coaxing, I obliged. Got the Exbal already dialed in... It's just a matter of inputting the yardage with which my Swaro confirmed at 480 yards. The wind was coming from behind at 5 oclock, gusting between 6 to 8 MPH. Everyone saw what happened to the coyote except me, as I was enveloped with dust, when the 338 went off.

AZone09003.jpg

Exit wound

AZone09004.jpg

The entry wound just above the shoulder

AZone09005.jpg

Those Lapuas sure make short work of yodel dogs! Excellent account made vivid for each of us by the pictures. Thanks, DF.

Way to go fox. I'll bet that 338lm made the tracking easy..lol Great shot, 480 yards at that small target is really something to share. I'll bet your buddy's are still talking about that shot. :grin:

sweet!!! Wish I could have seen that one. I did not even buy tags in Ca this year with all that is going on.
Hardpan

longranger":1vkio87a said:
Is that where you were aiming?

My position was slightly elevated. I did not compensate for it. I was aiming for the shoulder shot, if that what you're asking and I hit slightly high left. Missed the bone probably since the shoulder was intact. The Coyote was probably slightly angling towards me too, that's why the exit wound was farther behind the shoulder.

Wow, I just saw this! What a shot DF! That 338L is really something to be admired! Scotty

Back