ONE RIFLE FOR ALL BIG GAME IN THE WORLD?

str8meat":33qz1iyk said:
408 cheytac with a nightforce 5x22x50 illuminated reticle.

You have no choice,

nightforce = illuminated reticle

Many of us are in pretty much the same camp. So if Nancy and Harry get their way, and I'm down to one rifle, and I'll be hunting antelope and cape buffs on the same hunt.....Rebarrel on of my Winchester Model 70 to .375 RUM. Actions is already trued, so I'd add a 26" single point rifle cut barrel, and a Nightforce 3.5-15x with a NP-R1 reticle. I might have to swage my own bullets, but with a 225gr and a 300gr bonded bullet, I'd be in pretty good shape.

My first thought was the 375 HH, but it`s been mentioned already.

So how about a 9,3 X 62 ?
Maybe a rebarreled Remington, with a 24" barrel. Add a Bell and Carlson stock, and top it with a Swarowski 2-10 X 42 or 4-12 X 50. (Just because I use both scopes myself.)

An old workhorse, but with todays modern bulleets an intersting cartridge :grin:

So how about a 9,3 X 62 ?

Or a 9.3 x 64? Or a 9.3 x 66 Sako? Each excellent cartridges, but failing the test where some African nations have set the limit for big game hunting at .375. One could do a whole lot worse that one of the 9.3 cartridges.

When I think 1 gun, my thought process turns to a more european concept, Blaser 93 with a case full of barrels. Or if it has to be pinned down to one caliber and no swichtable barrels, A weatherby DGR in 378 or 416. Be the 416 with two scopes on leopold QR mounts. A 1.5-4 X a 4.5-14X40AO. Choice of bullets would make me consider sabots or trying to get light without losing BC. If it wasn't having to meet bore restriction i'd Say 300 wby or 338 RUm built on a CRF action.

JT.

jtoews80":3puj1i0m said:
When I think 1 gun, my thought process turns to a more european concept, Blaser 93 with a case full of barrels.

JT.

If that were allowable, the T/C Encore would also work. Many choices from 17 HMR & 22 rimfire up to 375 H&H and 416 Rigby.

JD338

Well, since my main rifle is a Mark V and my main cartridge is a 340Wby, I will submit the 340Weatherby Mag in a Mark V as the rifle to DO it all with for me. Of course I am left at the moment with no other choice. Now this is not an apology for the 340Wby, it does not need to apologizes. I am getting over 3000fps with the 250 and I should get close to if not over 5200ft pounds of energy soon. On top of all of that the 340wby has been recorded as having killed everything in the world. From sheep to elephant so I believe on it's merits alone it qualifies as the "ONE RIFLE FOR ALL BIG GAME IN THE WORLD?"

AND THAT SATISFIES ME!!
:lol: :lol:

POP":3vpiv7wj said:
TScottW99":3vpiv7wj said:
Marlin 45-70. The 45-70 will kill anything that needs to be killed if you choose your bullet and your distance.

For a scope, Leupold 2-8 will serve you well.

That or I would cheat with my T/C Encore and have any caliber I want to go with that one rifle :lol:

What happens when you draw a killer antelope or sheep tag?
:shock:

You either get real close, not as close as a bow hunter though. Or you could go the route of Quigley :lol:

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE"

I like it!

I am a little late but Mr. Holland & Holland in the 375 is all you need and you can place a Leupold in a 2X8X50 in VXlll on top.

Blessings, :wink:

Dittos on the 375RUM
My REM LSS is light and well ballanced even with the brake, and with 260 gr. Accubonds at 3100 fps it has antelope to eland covered. I would choose a Leupold 4.5-14X40 B&C with A/O .

sask boy":rjg9abe1 said:
I am a little late but Mr. Holland & Holland in the 375 is all you need and you can place a Leupold in a 2X8X50 in VXlll on top.

Blessings, :wink:
\

How can you argue with that huh?

I already have it in the safe: weatherby 300 win mag 20" barrel loaded with 180gr Etips at 2890fps. Not legal in some countrys but will do the job. It could use an updated scope, 1.5x6x40 burris Or the 1.5x6x42 mentioned earlier would get the job done. I do not need a cannon to kill big game, just the ability to put good sized holes in the proper places.

I'll weigh in on this. I have a 375 rum model 700 XCR. 24" bbl and have a 3-9x40 on it. This is one light gun... with top end loads it do come back fassssssssssssssssssssssssssst. Shooting it from the bench I can only last about 20 rounds and I have a headache. It is really mind over matter to shoot great groups with it. I have settled on the 260 AB over imr 4350 @ just a touch under 3k fps. The accuracy it is capable of is impressive--if your up to doing your part of the job in shooting it. PS--look for scope w/ 4" + of eye relief and mount the scope as far forward as you dare. I'm running leupy dual dovetails on mine. stong mount is important.

Greg Nolan,
What powder are you running to get 3100 out of the 260 AB? You have a 26" bbl on that LSS don't you?

Dufur":29mh8blp said:
I'll weigh in on this. I have a 375 rum model 700 XCR. 24" bbl and have a 3-9x40 on it. This is one light gun... with top end loads it do come back fassssssssssssssssssssssssssst. Shooting it from the bench I can only last about 20 rounds and I have a headache. It is really mind over matter to shoot great groups with it. I have settled on the 260 AB over imr 4350 @ just a touch under 3k fps. The accuracy it is capable of is impressive--if your up to doing your part of the job in shooting it. PS--look for scope w/ 4" + of eye relief and mount the scope as far forward as you dare. I'm running leupy dual dovetails on mine. stong mount is important.

Looks like we almost have the same load. I have a 375RUM in the LSS version and am using 96gn of IMR 4350 to get an average 5 shot velocity of 2990fps.

Back