Opinion on Nickeled Brass

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I personally don't like working with nickeled rifle brass as I find neck tension to be on the extreme side. Normally I end up inside neck turning or use an expansion die with a turning mandrel to get the tension that I want. But even then my loads never seen to shoot as well as with plain brass cases. Is it just me? Please share your opinion.

What cartidges are you using nickel brass? I can only speak on Winchester's .280 Remington brass which I use exclusively and have had no problems. The nickel plating seems to be more of a wash than actual plating. Doesn't take too many tumbling for is to start showing brass underneath. Reloadability has been very good with long case life. I've had no problems finding accurate loads for my rifle.Current pet load runs a 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam (older two core version) at close to 2900 FPS and sub MOA accuracy. Rifle is a custom based on a DWM Argentine Mauser by the Harry Lawson company for the metal work and Sterling Davenport for the stock.
Paul B.

The only issue I've had with nickel plated is wear on the expander ball, make sure you lube the neck well.

I load some 25-06 in nickel plated federal brass. Good accuracy with 115 partitions (older style with sleeker design) and IMR 4831. Can't speak to speed because I don't have a chrono. Brass has lasted 5 firings so far

Have been using Winchester NP 30-06 brass for a few years with no problems. It's once fired of their Supreme line of factory loads. Using it in my Remington Mod 700. Suits me. Dan.

The times Ive used it in my 280 Ive liked it just fine. The only reason I don't use it now is I had a friend to give to me 5-6 hundred Federal cases a few years ago and I see no reason to buy any brass.

The times Ive used it in my 280 Ive liked it just fine. The only reason I don't use it now is I had a friend to give to me 5-6 hundred Federal cases a few years ago and I see no reason to buy any brass.
A great problem to have!:giggle: I've used the Winchester 280 nickel coloured brass for many years. I've never had a problem with it. On the other hand, I used nickel-plated 7mm RM brass for a brief period and encountered bad flaking that tended to cause problems in my dies. After a few tries, I tossed it all. I still have several bags of the 280 brass, however. Don't use it now because I have a good supply of Norma 280 brass.

A great problem to have!:giggle: I've used the Winchester 280 nickel coloured brass for many years. I've never had a problem with it. On the other hand, I used nickel-plated 7mm RM brass for a brief period and encountered bad flaking that tended to cause problems in my dies. After a few tries, I tossed it all. I still have several bags of the 280 brass, however. Don't use it now because I have a good supply of Norma 280 brass.
The Federal brass I have has turned out to be some very good brass. I have found that weighing brass is not worth the effort but the times that I have weighed the brass it has been very consistent. With that said, it's only used for hunting tho.

Back