opinions on a Sako AV 338 Win Mag

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I'm thinking of buying a Sako AV 338 WM, and I just wanted some opinions on it. I've never known anyone who has had one. I recall reading somewhere that they were pretty good rifles. Any help?

bteate,

IMHO, Sako is an excellent rifle. The 338 WM is tough to beat!

JD338

bteate.

Very good rifles. Generally well worth the extra cost. I believe the AV designation was used originally as an identifying class for long action bolts rifles imported into the North American market.

I know that the newer Sako stuff is right on, but I don't know much on the older models. I assumed that the quality is about the same. Thanks.

I have a Mosin that was reworked by Sako in 1944. Excellent quality. My wife owns a Tikka (which is owned by Sako) and again excellent quality.

If you have the money for top of the line, I'd buy the sako. If you want best value, you might consider the Weatherby Vanguard MOA.

This is an AV Sako in 7 MM Remington magnum that my friend found in a used gun rack. He paid $1000 for both the rifle and the VariXIII Leupold. I thought it was a steal.

Noslerdata059.jpg

DF, that is indeed a steal! Congratulations to your friend for recognising the value of what was on the rack and seizing the moment.

DrMike":2tz5gym5 said:
DF, that is indeed a steal! Congratulations to your friend for recognising the value of what was on the rack and seizing the moment.

Yep! That's why I stop at pawn shops, small guns store, cause you'll never know what you'll find.

Here's one sample:

Clackamas Kimber 82 in 223 Remington with Vari-XIII 3.5X10. $800.00

IMGP2356.jpg

Wow! I'll have to contract with you for personal shopping! :lol:

Back