Optics Warranty-Leupold or Zeiss

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Which one is best, I have seen Leupold replace or fix things no questions asked, How is Zeiss?

First rate in my experience. I sent back two scopes for service. Each was repaired quickly and to my satisfaction.

DrMike":lldv6mou said:
First rate in my experience. I sent back two scopes for service. Each was repaired quickly and to my satisfaction.
Mike, was that Zeiss or Leupold?

I sent my VX-6 back because the 338 RUM beat it up pretty bad due to the std 2 pc mounts. Its a pretty hefty scope. Just got the scope back along with a new reticle, the Fire Dot Wind Plex. Pretty awesome reticle and great service from Leupold.

JD338

Jim,

My experience with Zeiss has been positive. I had one Diavari that began to have a slight grinding in the power ring. Within two weeks of sending the scope to NY, it was back in my hands, recharged, cleaned, lubricated and the reticle rezeroed. Another Zeiss Diavari was sent away for examination and reconditioning. The experience was identical. Turn around (for Canada) was excellent and the service was first rate. My experience with Leupold has not been as positive. It hasn't been terrible, just somewhat costly before reaching satisfaction. In fairness, I'm dealing with Zeiss repair depot in the States, and the Leupold warranty repair is here in Canada. I have had two Leupolds that required attention. One VXIII was reconditioned and returned within reasonable time, but no faster than the service from Zeiss which had to cross international borders. The other scope (a VX3) had a tube that was slightly bent from a drop. It set me back quite a bit, though less than a new scope would have cost.

My hunting buddy had his Zeiss spotter focus mechanism break a couple or so years ago. He sent it to Zeiss, they sent it to Germany, and he had his repaired spotter back 5 months later. In the meantime, communication was rather poor. He wasn't impressed.

I've had great luck from Zeiss. Their U.S. Facility is right down the road from me so I've dropped two of them off and had them back within the week. Leupold has been decent as well so I couldn't say which is better.

I have had excellent service from Leupold & also Minox but can't say the same for Bushnell :(.

Blessings,
Dan

I know more than a few friends that tied up their optics with Zeiss and other foreign made optics for months and got a big repair bill when they finally got them back...I suppose that made me a confirmed Leupold fan, they guarantee the scope even if you bought it second hand, they have the option of repairing the outside for a charge but not the inside as I understand it, but they have never charged me a dime and I've sent several back, one a horse rolled on and broke the scope in half, I sent it back told they what happened wasn't their fault but asked if they could repair the tube a it broke in the threads that connect to the adjustments...They sent me a new vari X 3 to replace the old variX 2...Did the same think on a pair of binocs one of my hunters in his moment of excitement twisted the eyepiece off, they sent me a new set of binocs, and a month later the repaired set..I called them about the hiccup and they allowed I not mess up their book work and Merry Xmas....How can you beat that.

Back