Oregon 2013 Elk Hunt

Charlie
How did your season go. I have been gone so much I have missed many posts?

Bill, I have been sick again, did not have a season. How do you like your new Zeiss 4.5-14 scope?

Great article Scotty and 2 Spikes down at the same time means nothing but good things :grin: lots of work and camp meat to replace all the energy you will need for the next couple days getting meat prepped and ready for the road! That was beautiful country and great times and it always help's to have a great hunting partner which it seems you for,sure have ! Glad ya both got the rifles bloody :mrgreen: sorry to hear about the boot issues and hope ya had an extra pair for back up ! Congratulations to you and Bill !!

Well, I was able to hang the entire elk into the meat cooler I made up. Butchered the two deer that were in there, and hung the meat last night. The dry ice kept the meat almost rock solid for the trip back to Va.

I should be getting to the elk meat in the next few days..

I found some 12/0 stainless steel fishing hooks, used the 550 cord and strung up 10 of the hooks. Works perfect for holding the meat, and really allow alot of flexibility in packing the meat in there neatly.. Plus, the fridge seems like it keeps the meat at about 35-37*..

Congrats on the elk gentlemen! A double no less! Sounds like you had a great trip. Always better to have a good hunting friend with you as well. That young bull will make outstanding vittles. Thanks for the debrief.

Nice set up Scotty as aging Elk meat really helps ! Myself I would let it age in some 40 weight gravy :mrgreen: yes it needs some proper temp and some aging to do,it rite and it seems ya got the freezer pretty well stocked up and a big well done as that drive is looking well worth the rewards !! But still a long one worth every mile I am sure ! :grin:

Great cooler setup, Scotty. The meat looks quite delightful hung there.

Thanks fella's.. It was a build out of necessity. Now, it gives me a proper spot to hang deer/elk/etc so it can age properly.. Fridge is sitting solid at 35-37 degrees, so overall, I am very happy with it. Gives me some breathing room, so I don't have to break out the processing station for every single deer..

Excellent job with the meat hanging. How long do you age each animal before you cut it up? I have been taking my animals to the processor except for the back straps that I steak out my self. This year I began boning most of my animals out (most processors charge $50-60 to bone per an animal) at a cost of over a $1000 for the year :cry: . I think that I will start cutting most of my game up myself. For the cost of processing three deer, a bear, and 6 antelope, I could easily buy a nice fridge and do it all my self with a little practice 8) . I know it is a lot of game, but I have four kids to feed and these little monkeys like eating game :twisted: !

Good story. Sounds like a once in a lifetime. Had my first taste of Elk last week thanks to 257 Ackley- YUM! Congrats to you both!

runtohunt":2ifu0o0l said:
Excellent job with the meat hanging. How long do you age each animal before you cut it up? I have been taking my animals to the processor except for the back straps that I steak out my self. This year I began boning most of my animals out (most processors charge $50-60 to bone per an animal) at a cost of over a $1000 for the year :cry: . I think that I will start cutting most of my game up myself. For the cost of processing three deer, a bear, and 6 antelope, I could easily buy a nice fridge and do it all my self with a little practice 8) . I know it is a lot of game, but I have four kids to feed and these little monkeys like eating game :twisted: !

I try to let everything hang for at least 10 days. Seems to get most all of the fluid outta the meat.

I know what you mean, we kill alot of deer here annually, so paying 80-100 a piece just isn't in the cards for me. The fridge is cheap, you can pick up used ones on Craigslist or a want ad for a little money, the rack is very easy to build.. The bigger expenses are the grinder and sausage stuffer...

Congrats Scott and Bill!! Great to see some of the additional pics that you hadn't sent before my deer hunting.

I finished yesterday, but I didn't have two deer in front of my elk. I have already had a couple of meals, A very good elk. I have always thought that spikes are the best eating. Old cows not so good.

Sounds great guys, hope you thoroughly enjoy them. Bill, do you find the younger elk taste better than the older ones in general whether it be bulls or cows?

Elkman":3dilk782 said:
I finished yesterday, but I didn't have two deer in front of my elk. I have already had a couple of meals, A very good elk. I have always thought that spikes are the best eating. Old cows not so good.

Yeah, did the two deer on Thursday so once they were outta the cooler I let the elk hang and drain some. Meat looked real good. Going to try and make some salami out of the burger I've got. Kinda got a taste for it now.

Back