Outfitter in '06 or Whelen

DrMike":6mxr6cbu said:
Much as I love the Whelen, the '06 probably has more utility. On the other hand, the '06 will show quite a bit of overlap with the 7WSM. Because you have the 7WSM, I'd wind up recommending the 35 Whelen, primarily because it will give you good performance on bear, elk and/or moose. On the other hand, it won't kill any deader than the '06. Okay, now that I've left you thoroughly confused, either chambering will serve you well.

+ONE

SJB358":1ad9x5cv said:
Only you can decide that AV. I like the idea of sights on a medium bore hard hunting rifle but I can't say it would sway me hugely. If I ever build a big 358 or 35 Newton, I would like a front sight on the rifle in order to use Talleys rear sight for backup. Just cool factor more than necessity though.

So when are you installing irons on the Newt?

It is a work in progress Jake. I imagine once I get set up with optics, and get all the rest fixed up, I will send it off to NECG for sights. I think it would be a sweet wet up.

Glad to hear you're going with the Whelen.
I think it's a better caliber than the '06 since you already have a 7mm but that's just my opinion. I went with a .338 Win Mag because that's what I could find with a left hand action in a Model 70. Now I'm looking for a left hand CRF Model 70 in 25-06.
I like the idea of a 9.3 x 62 a lot too. I have a friend that really loves the .35 Whelen. One of these days I'll probably own one too but just not yet. He keeps trying to get me to trade for one of his but they are all right handed actions. I'm in the process of selling/trading to convert to all left handed actions except for my AR.
Enjoy your Whelen and keep us posted on how things progress with it. I'm really interested in how it turns out for you.

Vince

Yes I am looking forward to you joining the Whelen family :wink:.
The 225gr. AB is just about perfect in the 35 Whelen. Once you need a load just ask I believe that one of our family members will have a load that will work in your rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

I had a 30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen. Really, the only thing I see a 30-06 offering over a Whelen is a small advantage in trajectory, which is overcome pretty readily with rangetime to dope the rifle anyway.

I have been super pleased with the conversion. The rifle did very well for several years as a 30-06. It's reborn bigger, badder, and meaner now that it's a Whelen.

I've killed all of 2 deer with it as a Whelen, but the wound channels are startling. With my pre64 Winchester in 30-06, which is the last rifle I used to kill a deer using the 30-06, I use 165gr Partitions at a fairly moderate 2700fps. It shoots MOA to 300 yards with that load, so I see no practical reason to hit the gas pedal on it. Anyway, the exit wound was about 1/2" in diameter, maybe 3/4", and the deer was DRT, as the shot was a high shoulder placement. Shot distance was about 45-50 yards. That's pretty typical, run of the mill 30-06 performance from what I've seen over the years.

With the Whelen, I killed two bucks this year. One was at 25 yards and the other at about 15-20. I hunt thick stuff. :) I use a Speer HotCor at around 2500-2550. Shoots a shade over MOA at 200 yards in the load I currently run (58.0gr IMR4320, and before anyone tells me to get RL15, I'll say that the day I can FIND some, I'll buy it...assuming relatively reasonable pricing and not "I have alliant powder and I am going to charge a 200% markup because you can't find it anywhere else" pricing).

One buck (neck shot) was DRT without even a kick. The other ran about 20-25 yards with a very pronounced blood trail. Exit wounds were eye-popping. The smaller one was about 3/4" to an inch in diameter. The larger one was over 2". Yes, over 2".

I concur with the Whelen recommendation, even moreso that you'll also be getting a CMP M1. I have two. Splendid idea to buy one from them. Good folks to support, and you'll be treated right if you should uncover a problem with the rifle, which is unlikely. Just make sure you feed it proper ammo. Op rods aren't cheap.

The 35 Whelen is a nice step up from what you currently have. With a 225 gr AB, you
have a 400 yd elk rifle. For deer and bear, the 35 Whelen hits hard, very hard.
It is a sight to behold.

JD338

Stopped by the showroom in Bend today. There was a black .338 Win mag Professional on display... Nice!

It felt like the perfect elk and bear rifle!

It's still there. Doggone it!

Guy

Guy Miner":3hibrk8t said:
Stopped by the showroom in Bend today. There was a black .338 Win mag Professional on display... Nice!

Guy

Yeah. Now that sounds like a very nice rifle. I think your right when you say the perfect bear and elk rifle. It would take something really good to dislodge mine from anything involving elk.

You should have stopped by my house on your way back. !!!!!

SJB358":ksgp7pyp said:
Guy Miner":ksgp7pyp said:

Guy

Yeah. Now that sounds like a very nice rifle. I think your right when you say the perfect bear and elk rifle. It would take something really good to dislodge mine from anything involving elk.

A 35 Newton!

nvbroncrider":1pymlvgv said:
A 35 Newton!

That rifle is pretty close. Just haven't had enough time to really get a load developed yet. I actually have test loads ready to go right now, but no time. It could run right there with the 338 though.

Back