Outside neck turning

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Just out of curiosity I purchased an outside neck turner. I don’t see it as a necessity for my needs as a hunter using factory rifles but something to experiment with this Winter.

I had three boxes of once fired Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor factory loaded brass that were all different lots.
After full length sizing with a Hornady sizing die I proceeded to use the turner on the necks.

I really didn’t know what to expect but I was somewhat surprised at the varying amounts of material removed from case to case. Some cases were hardly touched while others were changed considerably.

I realize this is not likely to show any worthwhile results with my reloaded ammunition so not posted as a pro or con to the benefits of neck turning.

It appears from the initial results there is quite a variation from case to case.

What it means?, I will leave for others to discuss.

1e0e4c3e5ac6f1f32aed984b6fb6bba2.jpg

e61f36449d918e675433b6a24f499925.jpg

8094a80907e1d27618f28f39531281d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn't seem unusual to me. However, I normally see brass taken off one side of the neck and not the other. Taking off even more brass is generally not beneficial unless you are working with a tight neck chamber.

It also appears that you are not turning down far enough. The angle of the cutter should match the angle of the shoulder and you should turn down far enough to just touch the shoulder. At least IMO anyway. I've turned a zillion cases but prefer to avoid it when possible. High quality brass and "no turn" necks work quite well without any need to turn necks.

Charlie-NY":327yqkdo said:
That doesn't seem unusual to me. However, I normally see brass taken off one side of the neck and not the other. Taking off even more brass is generally not beneficial unless you are working with a tight neck chamber.

It also appears that you are not turning down far enough. The angle of the cutter should match the angle of the shoulder and you should turn down far enough to just touch the shoulder. At least IMO anyway. I've turned a zillion cases but prefer to avoid it when possible. High quality brass and "no turn" necks work quite well without any need to turn necks.
Thanks for the info. A learning process for sure. I’m not expecting much out of it for my uses but I thought it was interesting to see the results on the brass.
Dumb questions.
I neck size quite a bit of my brass basically because it is quicker than full length sizing. If I don’t size the whole neck of the brass and turn the necks, the portion of the neck that hasn’t been sized will have more material taken off.
Will this have a detrimental affect and would it be advisable to only turn the portion of the neck that was sized?
Does a lee collet die have the benefit of sizing the entire neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie-NY is correct , you need to cut a little closer to the shoulder, I like to get the cutter scratching it . I turn brass for three of my rifles , I'm getting away from turning necks on one of them . one word of caution , as you turn the neck thinner you are gaining neck clearance in the rifle chamber . the more neck clearance you have the more the brass moves . the more the brass moves the shorter case life will be before the neck splits . annealing helps this . I did a write up on neck turning a few years ago , the link is below . since the write up I bought a better tool . I stopped turning one rifle I was doing , and started to turn for another rifle .

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33605

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33605

Back