Over Reach?

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
What would you think about DNR arrived with 10 officers in tactical gear complete with AR 15’s raiding a house and ransacking it for 4.5 hours because it was rumored he used his wife’s tag on a buck?

They confiscated two mounts from a couple years ago and took his bow and shotgun. And issued 2 tickets for tag sharing. Then went through his phone and spent the day calling on other area hunters who were unfortunate-enough to be on the guys phone.

Personally, I’d never use someone else’s tag. So I should be immune to this...

Id think to pull this off they’d have to go to court and get a warrant.

So while DNR is selling 2 buck tags and 10-15 doe tags per person, depending where you are. They really went hard after a guy...for filling his wife’s tag.

Like I said, I don’t screw around with breaking rules or the law, but going after someone on prior year mounts and 10 armed officers ransacking the house, seems like undue force and risky.. especially for a DNR who is trying to crush the deer herd...

It just makes no sense.

If there’s a back story I’ll share it when I know it.

In the meanwhile, if you think it’s ok to use your spouse’s tag.. think again. It’s not worth the colonoscopy at gun point because 3 years ago, you shot a buck when you should have shot 10-15 does instead.

I don’t get why the first time the SNR shows up to inquire they show up in force with guns drawn.

So much doesn’t make sense in2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one were to commit a capital crime, as apparently sharing a tag must be. The best thing to do is not share that info with anyone. They just didn’t drop out of the sky, someone alerted them of this horrible crime . It sounds as though they grossly overacted, and owe the family an apology, art least.

It sounds to me like there is some important information missing. Only the subject of this action knows the whole truth but the DNR's actions seem totally inconsistent with the offense as stated. I'd certainly be interested to see the supporting information that a judge relied on to sign the warrant.

"The rest of the story" probably has to do with illegally taking game across state lines, protected species, drugs and other firearms laws. And here in MI, bucks carry an additional fine of $500 per point, 11 pt + is $750 per point.
The MI DNR monitor social media and "collect information" as they build a case and sometimes it takes years of being quiet to obtain the necessary evidence.
Pretty sure there is a lot more to this story.

JD338

I got more of the story today.

Ugly break up. Just a way to Get back at him.

He is a vet, and she made him sound dangerous and unstable. (Not true)
It was her tag he used. She made a couple other allegations as well(including not true things) She turned over the contents of his cell phone.

The local dnr didn’t follow up. Ignored her. So she went to the state level. They didn’t ignore it. They went in hard...maybe because of the allegations, maybe because of the locals not acting on the report.

I imagine there could be more... truth comes out slowly at times. Because of the allegations of him being an unstable vet, they had 2 ARs on him the whole time. I’m sure that would make anyone uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, when I was a cop we had a risk/threat analysis matrix we'd use to help us figure out how much force was likely appropriate.

Going after an armed killer who's sworn he won't be taken alive? (been there, done that)

It's time to use an awful lot of smarts & force, to prevent any casualties (even his) during the arrest.

Going after some idiot who sold a gun after a vehicle prowl? Well, we can probably handle that with a couple of patrol cops.

It all varies. Sometimes we'd end up a bit heavy on scene. Better than ending up dead.

Guy

Always the trick for law enforcement, who’s the nut, who’s dangerous, and what’s the truth!

Fortunately, law enforcement gets it right pretty often....

I feel for the bail bonds guys who have to go after bail skippers...have to think, good innocent people aren’t bail skippers...

To your point Guy, going home at the end of a shift is highly desirable.. it’s a demanding profession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back