owners of rem 700 .300wsm's

sniper1379

Beginner
Jan 2, 2009
lets just say i'm less than satified with mine. after about 3 years of shooting and tweaking this and tweaking that, i'm about ready to get rid of it. the rifle is a 700 action, bedded to an hs precision stock, floated barrel, adjusted trigger and countless loads down range. out of about 50-60 loads i'm tested out, only about 5 or 6 shoot what i call good and that's MOA or better. one problem with the rifle i think is the limitation of the magazine length. 2.86" is max, however with say nosler 150gr accubonds my max OAL to the rifling is 2.96". i wonder if this 1/10" jump is hurting my accuracy. anyone else had problems with their 700 300wsm's?

Man, that stinks you have spent so much extra money on your rifle and it still doesn't shoot to your expectations. What are you going to get next? Scotty

Have you tried seating bullets close to the lands and single load to check for accuracy potential?

JD338

Have you tried seating less then 2.86 My son's 700 shoots 150bts at COL of 2.860 at .030 off the rifling's but his OAL to the rifling's is only 2.890 with 150gr. BTs.

Best Alan ; PS. I would have on problem seating deeper or adding a shim as a pressure point at the end of the stock just to try.

never tried seatin closer to the lands, since i can't fit them in the mag. i'm considering going ahead and sending the rifle off and having it "accurized", new barrel and all. i've always wanted a custom gun anyway. if i was to sell it i would not get close to what i have in it. the rifle used to shoot 2-3" groups prior to bedding and floating. looking at all of my load data, since i floated the barrel and bedded the stock, it shoots okay i guess, but 1.5" groups as the norm aren't exceptable to me. i have rifles far cheaper in cost that only shoot groups that large on occasion. maybe i'm being too picky.

You might be able to hog out another 0.100 inch from the magazine on the 700. It has always been a mystery to me why Remington placed such a restriction on their rifles. I hate to hear of your problems, but it has been reported by others.

Sniper1379............Try seating closer to the lands and load the shells one by one.

For my 300 WSM, I have range loads which exceed the magazine`s length with the bullets closer to the lands and seperate hunting loads which are loaded to 2.88"... The magazine length in my 300 WSM Ruger is 2.92"...

As far as groupings are concerned, I`m more concerned with better accuracy from my range loads rather than from my hunting loads. For hunting loads, I`m more concerned with the proper 1st shot placement rather than a tight 3, 4, or 5 shot group accuracy. Shooting at targets for groupings is one thing, but proper 1st shot placement on game while on a hunt is another.

Before you either dump the rifle or try more modifications, first try seating the bullets closer to the lands and load em one by one at the range.

I`ll bet your accuracy improves.

I own a Reminton 700XCR chambered in 300WSM. It has the same 2.86 inch magzine length. I have had little trouble getting accuracy from it, having found good loads for the 165 AccuBond, 180 Partition, 180 Sierra ProHunter, 168 Barnes TSX, etc.

My rifle does not seem to mind the jump to the lands. I actually am finding this pretty common when using the Barnes TSX in a number of rifles. Try loading the 168 Barnes TSX to 2.85 inches to just make it in the magazine. I load them over a Fed 215M primer and a max load of H 4350 with good success.

Sniper, try it closer to the lands. Sometime adding just .005 to the length can be the difference between shooting and not shooting.

Keep in mind, that just because your magazine is .1" short, that doesn't tell you anything about how far you are off the lans. If you increase the OAL beyond magazine length and it shoot, you dont' need a whole new barrel. You just need your smith to "take off a thread", or two, and shorten the throat. Most smiths will usually do this for about $100.00-$150.00.

My 300WSM in the Remington 700 is one of the best shooting rifles I own.The first thing I noticed about it is,it has a very short throat.COL depends on what bullet I shoot.I usually seat about .020 off the lands for whatever bullet I load.I've only shot 165gr bullets out of mine in both flat based and boattail designs.I've had good luck with Winchester WXR,Reloader-22 and IMR-4350.Don't be stuck on one bullet.I've got a 270 that just does not like boattail bullets,so you might try some Partions or some other flat based bullets before you totally give up on her.Do a ladder test with your loads if you haven't done it.Mine will group like this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/40165144@N04/3691515191/

TXbaldhunter,

I note you are using 69 grains of WXR in your 300 WSM. WXR has turned in spectacular performance in my first 300 WSM. It produces sub-MOA groups using 180 grain Fail Safes, 180 grain Grand Slams, 180 grain Hawks, 180 grain Hornady SPs and 180 grain Partitions. All these were loaded about 0.02 inches off the lands and the charge ranged from 68 grains to 70 grains. I regret that Winchester ceased production of the powder, but I have a supply laid aside to last for some time. Undoubtedly, it will be one powder that I try in my new 300 WSM. Thanks for the picture.

going to to seat some bullets out near the lands tomorrow and go try them out hopefully later this week. we'll see how it goes. thanks

30-338 witch of the Wyatt's mags. are most going for the MBE-4 or CFE-5 My smith would like to try one there harder to get up here Wyatt had a license issue but sure that's been taken care of so any suggestion a big help.

Thanks Alan

pacer97":1w419p8w said:
30-338 witch of the Wyatt's mags. are most going for the MBE-4 or CFE-5 My smith would like to try one there harder to get up here Wyatt had a license issue but sure that's been taken care of so any suggestion a big help.

Thanks Alan

The MBE-4 is for the WSM. I'm not sure but Brownells sell the Wyatt's and you might want to call Wyatt and see if they can help. Wish I could more.

Thanks 30-338 we will have to get on it again they should have the permits in place now.

Thanks Alan.

Back