P1917 in .300 H&H

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I found a deal today that I couldn't pass up. I picked up a Winchester P1917 (with duck pond) rifle chambered in .300 H&H today. The rifle looked like it had seen a little neglect so I took it into a a local gun shop to have it checked out. First off we checked the head-space and it is a little long but the bolt will not close on the no-go gage. Then he checked the bore and said everything was exceptional in the barrel and throat. The feed rails have been worked, and the magazine has been cut down to 5 rounds, but the follower needs a little work. The bolt has a speed lock kit installed so that it now cocks on open. The receiver has had the ears milled off and D&T for a scope base.

Things that are still original on this rifle are the bolt handle and safety. The trigger I think is the original military two stage trigger and that will need to be replaced. Stock is still the original military wood but kind of butchered around the magazine.

I know I should have taken pictures of this rifle first, but I didn't get any. I left it at the gun shop to get a base installed, as the rear of the base needed to be milled down. I figured I'd see how good this rifle can shoot before I do any other work too it.

My question is what would you do to your P17 if you had to do it all over again? Especially to the action as that is where I'm going to focus most of my attention for now if the rifle shoots with potential. I would love to see pictures of your actions to get a better idea of what I want to do.

I know the rifle will need a new stock eventually. I'm kind of leaning toward a synthetic stock at the moment as this rifle is very heavy and it would lighten it up a little. I'm considering a laminate as well, not looking for anything too fancy as I don't want to sink a whole lot of money into this rifle. Suggestions on stocks would be appreciated, and I realize there probably aren't a whole lot out there for the P17.

I'm considering re-barreling this rifle to .375 H&H as well. I already have a .375 Ruger, and since the barrel is in good shape I'll probably leave it. Just that the .375 has always interested me more than the .300, so I keep thinking about it.

It seems that you did not pay very much?

If thats the case it indeed is the guns main point.

I would have scope bases installed as your doing but then just see how it shoots. If it shoots well then consider just using it as it is. Two stage triggers are not that bad at all once you practice with it. I would insist on a recoil pad as well.

If you think about it the other way and put a lot of money into it then I doubt that you will ever get that money back on a resale.

I sporterized a P-17 by Winchester back in the 50's by putting a Bishop stock on it etc. etc. I got $110 for it and was glad to see it go. They are so heavy.

Yes, I got it so cheap that I couldn't pass it up, quite a bit less than you sold your last one for.

Yes it is very heavy and changing out the stock will lighten it up a little as it is still wearing almost the full militray dress stock. I was hoping the stock wouldn't have been buthceres so bad but they ground the belly off to straighten out the floor plate. I might have been able to get a few dollars for the military stock if it hadn't been damaged to offset the costs of the new stock.

I will shoot it before I try to improve on this rifle any. Like I said it must have potential to be a good shooter or else I'll sell it.

Did they have to grind the feed ramp down to allow the H&H round to feed and chamber?I wonder if they did would it affect the strength of the lower locking lug recess in the action?

Following this thread with interest. I've got a 1917 in the safe, sporterized in the 1950's and updated with a Timney trigger, B&C fiberglass stock and cock-on-opening a few years ago. It's still a .30-06, and likely to remain so, but I do like to see what others have done with theirs.

I could get talked into .338-06 or .35 Whelen pretty easily. Those would be simple re-barrel jobs.

The thing shoots remarkably well for what it is - a nearly 100 year old military rifle worked over by a series of amateurs in my family from time to time over the past 50 years or so. :grin:

Regards, Guy

A P-17 Winchester in 30-06 was my first real deer rifle. My dad got it for me from some guy in the rifle club. It had a sporterized military stock, cock on opening and was drilled and tapped along with a home made single stage trigger.

We reblued it and stocked it with the Bishop stock of the day. This was about 1955.

The rifle shot well but it was always very heavy.

I sold it and am glad that its gone. One feature that sold it was that it would feed a magazine full of empty brass rapid fire. While this is useless except for blanks it impressed the buyer.

with an action that is aready that big and heavy it screams "BIG BORE!!!!" I'd go with a 416 rem, or 458 LOTT. The lott is a very versatile way to go because you can easily to plinking loads to stomping loads. Cast lead for bunnies at 1200-1400fps or 350 speer at 2800fps for deer, to 550 for elephant. All in one gun.

Thebear_78":mj9sh3pu said:
with an action that is aready that big and heavy it screams "BIG BORE!!!!" I'd go with a 416 rem, or 458 LOTT. The lott is a very versatile way to go because you can easily to plinking loads to stomping loads. Cast lead for bunnies at 1200-1400fps or 350 speer at 2800fps for deer, to 550 for elephant. All in one gun.

Well if my job interview pans out I might be moving up your way. :grin: So then you can convince me to built a big bore on that action while I'm waiting for my residency. For right now the rifle will stay a .300 H&H as I've got a few other projects that will take priority.

Back