Pa bull elk

That is a world class bull. What a toad! Congratulations to the hunter.

JD338

I have spent most of my hunting life at our camp on Kettle Creek PA where the PAPGC has propagated the elk herd. We had an apple orchard which the Elk Bulls would beat up. The initial area where the Elk herd started was in Benezette, about 40 miles west of our camp. I travelled through Benezette to get to camp, periodically finding the herd on State Route 120. The PAPGC has turned this into quite the money making venture, beyond the hunting license fees. That region of PA has the Allegheny Range of the Appalachian Mountains running through it. It is pretty rugged area of PA.

I hunted in the Hammersley Wild Area. That is a watershed with a 55 mile perimeter where no motorized vehicles are permitted. Most of it is bounded by dirt forestry road. There is a vast network of trails through the area that were established by the CCC in the 30's. There is an old CCC camp near the southern gateway. I could hunt in there, after the first three days of deer season, for a whole week without seeing another human being.

I have not applied for an Elk License for sometime but will start again. We moved out of PA but are back in state. I recently bought a Sako Laminated AV 338 WM as a good luck token, in the hopes of winning a Elk Permit.

Wow! What a bull.... I've seen some big elk, but dang, that rascal is a monster.

Guy

That's a good one for sure. They got some brutes out there. Some years back I was doing a job in Benezette, Elk County. Was back in at a cabin, and toward evening I seen a small group of cows coming off the ridge crossing the far end of the property with a really nice bull with them. I went out around and got below them in a couple rows of planted pines bordering the next field. They walked out within 30-50 yards of me. Big heavy 5x6. Quite an experience for somebody not used to seeing elk.

Back