paint

Looks excellent. I really like it.
Don't hold out on us, what kind of paint?
And give us some tips on the proceedure you followed.

It is spray paint (Rustoleum) with a clear matte finish.

Here's what I did:

I first removed anything that I did not want to be painted - swivel studs, recoil pad, scope, bipod rail, bolt. Then I wiped down the stock and barreled action with acetone. I then taped the parts of the action that I did not want to be painted (bolt release, trigger group, and tang/safety). I also taped the part of the picatinny rail that the rings make contact with. I then put the barreled action back in the stock and hung it with a piece of rope through the rear swivel stud hole.

Next the first coat of paint went on. In this case a satin white.

Once that coat was dry, I wrapped rope around the whole thing with random spacing.

With the rope in place, I applied the next coat of paint (black). This leaves the white only visible under the rope.

After that coat was dry, I wrapped more rope around before applying more paint.

I did three more coats with gray, tan, and a sage green. These coats were done lightly to allow some of each color to show.

When once again dry, I removed both pieces of rope. I then spritzed the whole thing with brown spray paint.

The last painting step was two coats of Rustoleum Matte Clear. After that was dry, everything went back together... finished product.

Back