Partitions and whitetails..give me your feedback

DIXIE

Beginner
Nov 12, 2006
wondering if these expand as quick as their BT and AccuBond counterparts to cause quick kills? I had an AccuBond that didnt exit an 80lb doe this past week. She dies quick, massive trauma, but on a buck, I want an exit everytime

that front section in the Partition is designed to expand quickly, while the "base" for lack of a better word, drives forward, ensuring penetration. I have killed mule deer with the Partition, and they worked great, have not shot a whitetail, but would not faint with surprise if I found out they worked just fine on 'em.

Not like the BT but not much smaller than the AccuBond in my experience. Typically using the 165 in 30 cal I get an exit, with Partitions, about the size of a quarter.

Long

I would stick with the ABs. I have shot the Partitions, but found the best of both worlds (BT and PT) in the AB. Anyway, that's my opinion. I currently use the following:
270WSM - 140AB
300RUM - 180AB or 200AB (probably the 200)
338WM - 225AB

I have used Partitions exclusively for the last 15 years. When the Accubonds came out and my .280 AI returned for the gunsmith, that is all I have hunted with in the .280 AI. I have killed 3 antelope 3 whitetails and 1 elk with the .280 in the last 3 years. One of my hunting buddies uses a .270 win - it is his only big game rifle. His coworkers were concerned that his .270 didn't have enough to get the job done on elk and so he asked me what bullet should he use. I told him to use the 140 gr. AccuBond with 57.5 gr of H 4831 - in two seasons (this year and last year he has killed 2 elk and 3 whitetails. Don't ask him to use a different bullet 'cause he won't. His deer were all killed at 250 yards or less. His elk were killed at 200 yards of less. My elk was killed at 450 yards. The bullets work and perform as advertised. the nose and accuracy is the same at the ballistic tip but the penetration is almost identical to the Partition.

Sorry this is so long ... Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve D. the HP

well i dropped another one last night @ 230 yards with the 150gr AccuBond

NICE EXIT

kudzudoe3.jpg

small entrance low
kudzudoe.jpg

I was going to post this picture under a new post but it looks like this is the place to post it. I shot a 5 point 161 pound whitetail last Friday. I was using my 257 Roberts with 100gr Nosler Partition bullet. The buck was just shy of 130 yards away. I hit the spine and the bullet stopped in one of the ribs on the far side. I was slightly above the deer. The deer dropped in his tracks. The bullet completely took out the spine. Kind of pulverized it. Here is what was left of the bullet.
nosler3.jpg

I still may try the AccuBond bullets next year but the Partitions are #1 in my book.

Richracer1":1qk0dpab said:
I would stick with the ABs. I have shot the Partitions, but found the best of both worlds (BT and PT) in the AB. Anyway, that's my opinion.

I totally agree! The Partitions are great bullets and will always be one of my favorites. I shot them in the past in both my 25.06 and my 30.06 and killed countless deer with them and they always performed just as they were designed to and killed deer like lighting. However, i never could seem to get the accuracy with them that i desired even with handloads. Don't get me wrong it was good enough to hunt with but not as good as i wanted especially for long range shots.
After trying the Accubonds i never looked back and agree with Rich, i got the best of both worlds, very good accuracy like the BT's and excellent performance on game from close range out past 300yds like the Partition. Needless to say that the Accubonds are my number one bullet of choice.

I have had great success with partitions on game. Always get quick expansion and an exit wound. I have used the following:
257 Roberts 115 gr PT
280 Rem 140 gr PT
30-06 Spfg 150 gr PT, 165 gr PT
338 RUM 210 gr PT, 250 gr PT
35 Whelen 225 gr PT
44 Mag 250 gr PT
50 cal muzzelloader .451 cal 260 gr PT

The BT/AB expand very quickly but the AB will penetrate almost as deeply as a PT.

JD338

I'm trying to decide between the AccuBond and Partition myself. I'll be working up a load for my .308 18.5 inch barreled Rem M7. It's nice to carry in the thick areas I hunt where shots are close. My last deer dropped instantly. I was using the 165 BT and the shot was 30 yards.

There's really no such thing as a brush bucking bullet but I remember an article written by Ed Sanow about Federal's barrier tests for law enforcement applications. They fired several types of .308 bullets through the various types of glass. The 180gr Partition showed the least deflection and best weight retention. From what I understand, Federal's new Tactical ammunition uses a bonded bullet. I know glass is not brush, but, food for thought.

So, as far as which I choose for whitetails in heavy brush for shots under 100 yards, it would seem to make little difference. If the AccuBond penetrates as well and expands quicker it would seem to be the clear winner, but if the Partition might give a slight edge against an unseen twig that too would be a nice advantage. I suppose I'll use whichever shoots the best.

saalfelder

I would work up an accurate load with the 165 gr AB and place that bullet with surgical percission through a hole in the thick stuff.
Good optics here will help you find the "hole".

JD338

The only bullet I've every recovered from an animal was a 140 gr Partition I took from a 150 lb whitetail buck. The bullet was loaded up in a 7mm Rem Mag to a muzzle velocity of around 3200 fps. The deer was hit at around 150 yds and the bullet struck the front of the deer on the shoulder as the deer was facing straight on. The bullet passed through the right shoulder and into the body cavity and across into the left hindquarter and came to rest just under the hind on the rear of the hindquarter. The base of the bullet and copper jacket from the front were intact. There was no lead left on the front. The buck dropped in his tracks and didn't even twitch. I'd say the Partition is a good deer bullet.

Well guys this is my first post and truthfully I've never been a Nosler fan.
The limited experience I had with Partitions did not give me the accuracy I expected and the BT's performed at both ends of the scale.

But...I needed some recipes for my new Weatherby LazerMark in 257Roy.
And since my go to bullet-maker does build anything smaller than 264 I needed to try something.

I choose the 100gr Partition keeping with Roy's favorite loading and RL25 with a recipe I found here. I only had 3 weeks to work up a load and luckily found one the first time out that clocked just at 3500fps in 12 degree weather and a 1/2" 3-shot group at 100 yards.
The reason I only had 3 weeks was my states deer control season was approaching soon and I really wanted to take my LM.

Well...at 310+ yards I and my brother took two small doe with perfectly placed shoulder shots. I got a good rest and held 8" high and she fell. Since my tag was now filled I handed the rifle to my brother(who only had a short-range lever action) and his dropped at the shot...not 30 feet apart! They did the "bang-flop" that I've personally never experienced before with larger calibers. The bullets performed perfectly and although they both passed through the exit was identical...about 3/4th's an inch.

twothere.JPG

<br>
DeerAndMe.JPG

<br>
8inchesLow.JPG

Mr. Smitty,

The deer shown in the above pics were harvested as part of a PA Game Commision program with participating landowners referred to as "RedTag".

So...all deer without antlers are the enemy under the program.

HMMM.......Sounds weird to me, I am from Nebraska as we do not have a program like that. I am curious about this "Red Tag" Program, could you please provide more info to settle my curiousity.............

Smitty,

The season is quite liberal in aspect to days, it comes in mid-February and runs to May 1st.
I have taken a first time deer hunters and seasoned veterans everyone enjoys springtime hunting.

The BIGGEST rule is to respect the landowners' wishes. The RedTag hunts are within a boundary of crops and usually close to outbuildings and farm animals. So to respect the landowner I always make sure my guests are familiar with such and we always walk the no-shooting lines to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The landowner must fill in the hunter's license number, home address and phone number and keep a log of who's made a kill, sex and no kill.

All regular deer season laws must be adhered to.
Years ago the PGC would list the participating landowners, but now they only give a list per county for $1.00.
Here's the link:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/ ... fences.pdf

Smitty,

The day we shot those two I was stopped by a PGC game officer. I knew he was going to approach me as I was dragging mine out, but he stayed in the his truck well until I started loading her on the car.

I remarked as he was within earshot "how come you guys always come after the dragging is over?". He did the routine, checked all my credentials and rifle. And of course, I was as polite and accomodating as I could be. He said he actually needed to call "the base" to find out why someone would be deer hunting in mid-March!
The person on the other end told him about the RedTag program...he never heard of it!

We typically get stopped and checked...they are usually checking for firearms violations, like loaded guns in or against cars. But we all know the rules and really enjoy the priviledge - so we never do anything that even borders a violation. As a matter of fact, I always make sure my guests and my stand are pointed away from a border, just so we cannot be confused with someone shooting in a "no-shooting" perimeter.

The landowner at the farm we hunted has had his share of problem hunters years ago and threatened to cease the program alltogether. We have, I hope, brought some dignity back to the hunt.

Here in NJ, Mr. Smitty we also enjoy liberal hunting season lengths and bag limits becuase of the heavy deer to land ratio and also deer/auto collisions. The NJ auto insurance agencies lobby the feds to expand on the bag limits because our deer/auto accicdents are unbelievably high and they don't like paying out their wealth to claims from deer damage!
We are allowed a doe a day with bow, shotgun and muzzleloader if you have all the permits and check in at the deer check each time. They replace your filled out tag with a new "antlerless tag" and off you go!
On opening day shotgun, depending on the zone your in, you can shoot one buck and two doe the first day with proper tags.
A few zones are trophy zones or 3 pts per side rules on bucks and other zones if heavily populated are two buck per season and as many does as you pay for with the extra permits!
I usually shoot at least 5 deer per season (the number is my choice). One I donate to feed the hungry, the other 4 my family eats.

Back