Partitions OR accubond

Which do you prefer?

• Nosler Accubond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Partition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In my 7mm RUM, the AB until it shows otherwise & then I will go back to the NP. I like them both :grin:

I really like the AccuBond but my sentimental favorite is the Partition.
It depends on the game, distance, and caliber as to which bullet I will use.

JD338

300RMEFshooter":1inw49h2 said:
Which do you choose for all around hunting? I'll be using a 300 WSM or 300 RUM

I didn't vote cuz I use both in my 30-06. 180 gr. Part. for elk, and 150 gr AB for deer and antelope.

Lee in Denver

Because of the words 'all around', I.ll vote for the Partition since you could get a shot up close at a velocity over 3100. Also I like the way partitions handle big bones on larger critters.

There is no wrong vote on this in my mind.
For standard velocities (up to 3000 fps) the Partition is king. For magnum velocities (above 3000 fps) the AccuBond is king.
Here's why (in my opinion and experience) The Nosler Partition was developed in the 1940's for the 300 H&H with the 180 gr. bullet at about 2900 fps. The front portion opened at up to that velocity to impart shock and the rear portion penetrated. Those were the haydays of the cor-loct, game king and interlock. The velocities were 2900 fps max for big game calibers. The velocities we deal with today if we use the various magnums are 3100 to about 3300 fps for most and up to 3800 fps. for some. The front portion of the Partition isn't designed for those velocities and basically it just blows up. That can be devistating if it's a chest cavity shot but for a muscle or bone shot (think shoulder or ham) the front causes massive meat damage for no advantage and the rear portion better be going somewhere vital or it is, in effect, a solid causing a pencil sized hole.
The AccuBond will expand at a more consistant rate to shed weight along the way so as to continue penetrating while maintaining about a 200% frontal area. In other words the bullet peels back so as not to parachute but still maintains an expanded frontal area to deliver the maximum hydrostatic shock. They both penetrate about the same distance but the AccuBond delivers it's shock over a longer period and distance.
Which is best depends on what your shooting and what your dad and grandad liked best. In this case that aint a bad thing! :grin:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt

THANKS for all the replies I currently use partitions in both guns but gonna pick up a box of accubonds and see if they shoot any better. I'm HAPPY with partitions but with all the GREAT reviews I thought I'd see what the Accubonds were like

I have been a Partition man since I started reloading. But I recently tried the AccuBond in the 7mag. I wanted to try a new bullet. I'll still use the partitions in my 06 for anything larger than deer, and maybe even deer, and Ill use them in the 300 winmag, but for now I think I'll stick to the accubonds in the 7 mm MAG
JDMAG

OK : If the AccuBond wins in this poll is nosler going to change the listed maximum impact velocity for the AccuBond from 3100 to unlimited ? The Partition is the only big game bullet currently listed with an impact velocity " unlimited: :roll: :roll: :roll:

the unlimited velocity may be stated but at high velocity impacts on high resistance targets (shoulder hits) if the Partition inside the Partition bullet ruptures, penatration stops immediately.
I know a smith who necks down and improves a 338 RUM to 257 cal. he tested the 120 gr partitions in this cartridge.
fired into a gallon jug of water at 500 yards, more often than not the H-mantle ruptured and didn't exit the jug. he was shooting around 3800 fps MV.
The accubonds may become a mangled mess of copper and lead but it stays togather and keeps penatrating.
I've taken 17 deer in the last 3 years with the 160 AccuBond, I send them downrange at 3550 fps , and the deer have been taken from 307 to 1350 yards, Only 1 failed to exit, that deer was shot hard quartering away at 450 yards, the bullet hit an unseen limb, entrance was tennis ball sized, the lungs were peppered with shrapnel, and found a sliver of copper and that was it, I guess the bullet was lost during field dressing.
for normal velocities, shoot whichever your rifle likes, for high velocity impacts I'll stick with the AccuBond.
RR

In the area where we hunt shots can be from 25yds to above and beyond what would be "TOO FAR!". Because of those 25 - 75yds shots I've gone back to Part. No questions on performance from close to far distances. I tried the Scirroco 130gn @ 3200(270WSM) and have had softball size entry and no exit. Much too much disruption up close. Yes the animal went down but the damage was too much. The Part seems to give repeatable and reliable performance at all ranges.
I have not tried the AccuBond but from what I understand it has similar on game performance as the Scirroco.

2009-02-15016.jpg

[
2009-02-15014.jpg

2009-02-15015.jpg
[/img]

Looks like the AccuBond works at close to Unlimited velocities to me.

This is the 160gr AB that took my 4x4 mule deer this year. It had a muzzle velocity of about 3475, and the deer was only 25 yards away. The wind was in my face. I walked right up on him. He never knew I was there until it was too late. He was quartering into me. I shot him just behind the left shoulder, and recovered the bullet under the skin, in front of the right rear ham. He was a big buck, and the bullet shot through about 3 feet of deer. Retained weight is 100gr.

What more could you ask from a bullet?

Ridge_Runner":2h5qg2t1 said:
the unlimited velocity may be stated but at high velocity impacts on high resistance targets (shoulder hits) if the Partition inside the Partition bullet ruptures, penatration stops immediately.
I know a smith who necks down and improves a 338 RUM to 257 cal. he tested the 120 gr partitions in this cartridge.
fired into a gallon jug of water at 500 yards, more often than not the H-mantle ruptured and didn't exit the jug. he was shooting around 3800 fps MV.
The accubonds may become a mangled mess of copper and lead but it stays togather and keeps penatrating.
I've taken 17 deer in the last 3 years with the 160 AccuBond, I send them downrange at 3550 fps , and the deer have been taken from 307 to 1350 yards, Only 1 failed to exit, that deer was shot hard quartering away at 450 yards, the bullet hit an unseen limb, entrance was tennis ball sized, the lungs were peppered with shrapnel, and found a sliver of copper and that was it, I guess the bullet was lost during field dressing.
for normal velocities, shoot whichever your rifle likes, for high velocity impacts I'll stick with the AccuBond.
RR

No way the AccuBond if it flattens out into a mess and has lost a lot of it's mass, it does not have the momentum to continue to penetrate because it can't. I have had a 165gr AccuBond out of my 300Win Mag hit a buck in the shoulder at 87yrds and it started to run up the neck but stopped due to the fact there was not much of it left and it looked like a little pancake. If you don't have enough mass for the velocity at hand it can not penetrate because it does not have momentum. It is momentum that allows for penetration not energy. You can have very high velocities but if you do not have sufficient mass you do not have sufficient momentum for penetration. No way can a AccuBond flatten out and mangled, penetrate like the Partition, because the front area created by the expanding bullet will slow and does limit penetration. They are two great bullets for what they are intended for but I would choose the Partition any day of the week over the AccuBond for serious, up close or dangerous work as well as excellent down range performance both in flight and terminal ballistic results. Experience in the field is why I choose the Partition over the AccuBond.

Antelope_Sniper":26ocpies said:
2009-02-15016.jpg

[
2009-02-15014.jpg

2009-02-15015.jpg
[/img]

Looks like the AccuBond works at close to Unlimited velocities to me.

This is the 160gr AB that took my 4x4 mule deer this year. It had a muzzle velocity of about 3475, and the deer was only 25 yards away. The wind was in my face. I walked right up on him. He never knew I was there until it was too late. He was quartering into me. I shot him just behind the left shoulder, and recovered the bullet under the skin, in front of the right rear ham. He was a big buck, and the bullet shot through about 3 feet of deer. Retained weight is 100gr.

What more could you ask from a bullet?

For it to do all of the above and exit :):):)

Another 1/2 inch and it would of.
I'll go ahead and put another 1/2 grain of powder in the next batch I load up bullet, just for you! :p

Back