Peterson Brass

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
I got excited when they announced the were making brass for more Weatherby calibers. I was left scratching me head when it was 7mm and 270 Wby , were is the 257 Wby? Well I got some 270 Wby that is going to become 257 😁
57445955-02B8-4B82-9B68-F65CA65CB4EE.jpeg

Ha! That’s the beauty is almost all of the good stuff is had by the 7 Rem Mag so I’ve made alot of 257 Wby for my brother using 7 Rem.

Looks like nice stuff.

Good for you. I like Peterson brass.
I use it for several cartridges, including my rear-grip 375 CT

Always happy to see new sources for brass, especially good brass.

JD338

Ha! That’s the beauty is almost all of the good stuff is had by the 7 Rem Mag so I’ve made alot of 257 Wby for my brother using 7 Rem.

Looks like nice stuff.
All my current brass for my 257 Wby in made from Winchester 7mm Rem Mag.

I got excited when they announced the were making brass for more Weatherby calibers. I was left scratching me head when it was 7mm and 270 Wby , were is the 257 Wby? Well I got some 270 Wby that is going to become 257 😁
View attachment 16605
That’s great brass. I’m using the first batch I bought of it. I quit counting after 25 reloads of small primer 6.5 creedmoor brass. I anneal after every firing, but I’ve still not lost a single piece to loose primer pockets. And I just loaded them up again this last weekend to shoot.

I haven't used Peterson brass yet . everything I read is positive about the brass . the guys I shoot long range with did a tour of their operation , they said it's pretty neat .

I know where there is some new 257 Weatherby brass if you need some. At least I spied a bag last time I was there. Hornady brass if I remember correctly. Do not remember the price. Let me know if you want me to check in on it for you. I will be there again in about 2 weeks.

I quit counting after 25 reloads of small primer 6.5 creedmoor brass.
That’s pretty impressive. I do run SRP Peterson in both of my Creeds , but nowhere that many firings yet.
Let me know if you want me to check in on it for you. I will be there again in about 2 weeks.
Thanks for the offer , but I’m not a big fan of Hornady brass , I’ll pass.

That’s pretty impressive. I do run SRP Peterson in both of my Creeds , but nowhere that many firings yet.

Thanks for the offer , but I’m not a big fan of Hornady brass , I’ll pass.
Yep, understand. I have some for 250 Savage, is okay I guess, gets the job done, but can't say it's extremely long lasting.

Yep, understand. I have some for 250 Savage, is okay I guess, gets the job done, but can't say it's extremely long lasting.
I had some good accuracy loads with Hornady brass, I just loose primer pockets quick with it. These are not hot loads either. I do keep plenty of Hornady on hand though as a backup.

With all the wind we are having this weekend and still to wet to do anything else I tested out my new brass. Since I cracked opened 1 of the 8lb jugs of WC867 , I tried it with Hornady’s 120gr HPs. I started low at 64grs to 66 then to 68. They were slow. Went back and added 10grs , now we were getting somewhere. 78grs at 3377 fps is a little too fast , no sign of pressure so I’m thinking it hides it like Lapua brass does. With my Winchester brass and RL-33 I run 3350s and that is a stout load. I loaded 6 each of 76 and 77 to try on paper when the weather cooperates.
E910EEF4-0346-4449-B93D-BC4297E7F168.jpeg
Picture is a little fuzzy as my phone kept focusing on brass.

A little update on this combo. Group wise it mirrors my RL-33 load , except POI shift. To the right with the Peterson/WC867 como and low and left with Win. Brass and RL-33. The rifle is zeroed with 100gr TTSXs.
Peterson Brass
838FCF41-9293-4C2C-9F2F-E015158A388C.jpeg

Win. Brass
E996DD43-D6CB-4946-94D9-82B76DDBBC6E.jpeg
The little black X is the actual point of aim.

Back