Pheasants Down! :)

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My son and I took the dog and the shotguns for a walk this morning at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club near Ellensburg Washington. We found six birds and brought down 5 of them! My son used his lightweight 28 gauge CZ double and steel 6's. I used the 1930's 12 gauge Remington 32 over & under with Bismuth 5's. John shot 4 of the birds, letting me take one. :)

Maverick the German Wirehaired Pointer hunted better than he ever has! I had him at the Cook Canyon Hunt Club for remedial training a while back, and it seems to have helped him a lot. His points were rock solid! Beautiful day for the hunt as well and we're all glad that we did this today:

Regards, Guy

Bravo!
You couldn't ask for a better day afield.
I've always enjoyed watching a good bird dog work.

JD338

Congrats Guy! Thanks for sharing those pics.

Me and my son had to skip our annual trip to SD this year due to scheduling issues. I'm living my pheasant hunting through friends stories and pictures this year. (y)

Congrats Guy! Thanks for sharing those pics.

Me and my son had to skip our annual trip to SD this year due to scheduling issues. I'm living my pheasant hunting through friends stories and pictures this year. (y)
I'd love to hunt SD someday. Never have. It's quite a ways from Washington. Pheasant... Great game birds!

I hope you and your son get to hunt there next year!

Regards, Guy

My son and I took the dog and the shotguns for a walk this morning at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club near Ellensburg Washington. We found six birds and brought down 5 of them! My son used his lightweight 28 gauge CZ double and steel 6's. I used the 1930's 12 gauge Remington 32 over & under with Bismuth 5's. John shot 4 of the birds, letting me take one. :)

Maverick the German Wirehaired Pointer hunted better than he ever has! I had him at the Cook Canyon Hunt Club for remedial training a while back, and it seems to have helped him a lot. His points were rock solid! Beautiful day for the hunt as well and we're all glad that we did this today:

Regards, Guy
I always liked Cooke Canyon when I was still up there. Great spot to work a dog. Enough cover to make it a challenging hunt, not so much you can’t see your dog-most of the time.

I'd love to hunt SD someday. Never have. It's quite a ways from Washington. Pheasant... Great game birds!

I hope you and your son get to hunt there next year!

Regards, Guy
Guy, most years it’s worth the trip. I guided in Upland birds for five years hard and another couple years part time. Dogs were retrieving a thousand birds a year doing that. One of the reasons I went to part time was to go to South Dakota again. Im not making it this year either. For some reason decided to go moose hunting. If you ever decide to go, let me know, I know a guy.

Glad to hear that you had a great hunt and built more memories...treasures that will be long remembered after the tasty meals have been eaten!

Glad to hear that you had a great hunt and built more memories...treasures that will be long remembered after the tasty meals have been eaten!
My son and I both agree that we wish my father, his grandpa, had been on this hunt with us. He passed a couple of years ago after a lifetime of working hard, fly fishing and bird hunting. We used two of his shotguns. :)

Guy

Back