Phony movies on Youtube.

Elkman":10l30ww4 said:
What I find amazing about these video's is the animals reaction to being hit, particularly those shot at a distance. Having shot and seen shot a number of elk I am amazed at the instant kills. When we get out past 600 yards the energy of most bullets has diminished substantially, yet their animals go down like they have been hit by a truck. I don't see that very often at all especially at longer ranges. My partners and I have killed at least a dozen elk in the last 4 years. All but one under 400 yards and only two hit the ground instantly. This has always been a mystery to me ?

300 grain fragmenting bullets.... They kill quick with boiler room hits.

That's like a small grenade going off in the heart and lungs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Elkman":2tvc5jt5 said:
Ridge runner, I believe the Gunwerks guys use 7mm mag's. Am I not correct??

Their "House brand" 7LRM.........close enough Bill. Most of them shooting 168 and 180gr Bergers.

Scott

Many do use 7mm.... But I think most dedicated long range guys are shooting 300's and 338's these days.

7mm's are just smaller grenades.

I'm no professional hunter or shooter... But seem to have had different experience than most in regards to "bang flops".... I reckon I've shot at least 120 deer and a handful of black bears.... All of the bears and all but about 6 of the deer were in fact "bang flops"... Dead before they hit the ground.

And not all were nervous system hits, though many were......

Near every one of those deer were shot with 30 caliber Ballistic Tips... The bears were shot with Remington 405's from a 45/70.

Ridge runner "
I'm no professional hunter or shooter... But seem to have had different experience than most in regards to "bang flops".... I reckon I've shot at least 120 deer
"

I have had experience with a similar number of elk and deer. The majority shot with a .308, 180 gr Nosler Partition, perhaps the bullet makes the difference?

As I shoot more I find my desire for shooting longer ranges on game diminishing.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think unless you crush that front end bone, getting an instant kill on an elk is just a lucky victory. I've even seen some elk continue moving with both front legs shattered. Seems like the Hollywood side of hunting a little these days.

Vince, As I shoot more I find my desire for shooting longer ranges on game diminishing
I find it fascinating, however it does require more practice and tools than the casual hunter/shooter is willing to lay oyt. in addition, shot placement is critical. I have set a personal limit of 600 yards, as both my primary rifles develop 1500 lbs of impact at that range, and under field conditions my shots are in within 8 inches of POA. I find the distance to be easier to compensate for than the wind, it's the wind that worries me. My longest "measured" elk kill has been 540 yards. i overshot him with the first shot and killed him with the second.

It looks like this spring & summer that I am going to be playing with some long distance target shooting.
I would have to agree though that I personally will not be trying for game much over 600 yards.

Blessings,
Dan

Bottom line on all this is when you are in the business of selling $300 scopes for $1500, and customized rifles ,it's all about great advertising! And it has certainly created a stir in unknowledgeable hunters believing if they would just purchase a $3000 rifle; and a $1500 scope (blue dials) and then, they too could instantly belong to this elite group; and start blowing down big deer at 1000 yds routinely! Knocking off Elk and Moose out to 1500 yds now a piece of cake with his newly acquired outfit just like his favorite TV Superhero's!!! :roll:
Of course all one shot kills from the new super Magnum cartridges that costs $100 a box.........
All this is of course 99% garbage, is simply hyped up dribble.... Buying $10,000 golf clubs won't make you Tiger Woods.
And unfortunately Bullets arriving at 44/40 velocitys combined with the avg wind problems ,associated with the vast distances they are shooting, Is most certainly going to produce a very high percentage of wounded animals, stumbling around and suffering, only to pulled down by wolf's or coyotes later on when the so called "sportsmen"
Decides he can't find them....... :mrgreen:

I will readily admit that the 35 Whelen IS NOT a potential long range cartridge! Great for what IT WAS designed for however! :grin:

Might have to get me a 50cal Barret and Night force scope to go long range if I had some where around here where I could stretch it out to 1500yds. :roll: :mrgreen:

the shot was made with a 338 Hart (edge)
time of flight from a 300 gr 338 at 2950 fps (thats if he had a 30" tube) is .628 sec. my rough timing from report to impact was around .3 sec. I'm saying the shot was from 250-300 yards based on TOF
RR

I've seen the videos that seem to be exaggerated, it's a shame people will lie like that. I posted a video of my buddy taking an antelope at 1,034 and I could see how people might mistake it after slight editing. For grins, here is the edited and unedited videos. Videos are through a Swarovski spotting scope and an iPhone with the use of the phone scope. This is an honest to God 1,000+ yard antelope, I like to hope there are others out there that are honest and willing to share the good, the bad and the ugly

https://vimeo.com/199800079

https://vimeo.com/185703479

Wow great video. I have to get a scope coat. With what did he make the shot?

salmonchaser":qdtczrjy said:
Wow great video. I have to get a scope coat. With what did he make the shot?

Custom .300 Win. Mag. And 215gr Berger Hybrid

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 2,044
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 2,044
Back