Photobucket test

Guy Miner":2t4bmf01 said:
Photo is from about a year and a half ago when I was trying to decide if I was taking the Model 70 375 H&H or the Rem 700 30-06 to Alaska.

I'd stored it on Photobucket, then the price to play went through the roof.

Guy

So what your saying is you left your DG rifle at home and took a lowly M700 in 06 with you?!?!

nvbroncrider":3mi1f7kc said:
Guy Miner":3mi1f7kc said:
Photo is from about a year and a half ago when I was trying to decide if I was taking the Model 70 375 H&H or the Rem 700 30-06 to Alaska.

I'd stored it on Photobucket, then the price to play went through the roof.

Guy

So what your saying is you left your DG rifle at home and took a lowly M700 in 06 with you?!?!

Yuppers! :mrgreen:

And that doggone push-feed, lowly Rem 700 in the mere 30-06, not even loaded to the max, did a pretty good job on the grizzly.

Before the trip, I called my outfitter and asked him about the rifle. Told him I had a 30-06 and a 375 ready to go.

He asked me two key questions:

1. "This is open terrain, which rifle do you shoot better at 300 yards?"

2. "This is tough terrain, which rifle is lighter?"

The answer to both of those questions was the 30-06 Rem 700. So, that's what I took.

Now... It turns out that with the bear, all the shooting was done at 40 yards and less, and the stalk was only about a mile. So the heavier, more powerful gun would have been a fine choice. But... Either way was fine. I do sometimes wonder if the 375 would have put the bear down better. My first hit was a good one, but another 1,000 ft lbs of energy and 60 grains more bullet might have kept him down. Maybe. Doggone bear got up after my 200 gr Nosler Partition broke his leg/shoulder and entered his chest. It was a fatal hit. But a few more shots were required to stop him, and I wonder if the 375 would have had the punch to drop him with that first hit.

Who knows? I surely wasn't worried about the reliability or accuracy of the 30-06 Remington.

Guy

Well my only blackie got it at 75 yards or so with a 225 PT and broke offside shoulder rolled down the hillside and then had to finish him off. You would have really been stoked to have had my 9.3. It's a sporter 06 bored out to 9.3. It's pretty light. Kinda surprised you didn't take the trusty #1!!

Back