Pondering 2017 fall hunting rifles...

Thankful Otter":28oe1b05 said:
I agree with Guy, Dr Mike, Scotty and cleveland48, it is beautiful!

I have a question for you fellows as I have noticed many of you have beautiful rifles and I always wonder how you keep them that way. do you keep them covered right up to the last minute before a shot and then take them out shoot and then put them back into a case, even a cloth bag perhaps ?

I do take care of my rifles as they are tools of my trade and they must always be in dependable working condition, but a week--month--or soon anyway after I get one, it will start to show signs of being in the mountains and/or ice on a daily basis. How do you do it fellows ?

The nicer wood rifles only hunt where the chances of being scratched are minimal. If I know that things are going to be rough then the "beater" comes along for the ride.

That said I do have a few "merit badges" on all rifles. Eventually every rifle will wear some scratch if used. It is what it is.

And I would say that the time I get to spend out in the bush is nothing near what yours is so that also has a factor. Most of my hunts also do not include ice, or other things that wear on a rifle. One rifle that I have hunted the most did at one time show serious signs of weather and wear. Over time I had not really noticed but a buddy of mine who had not seen that rifle in years told me how weathered it was. Kind of shocked I then took a good look and he was right. So, I had the stock refinished.

Cheyenne, you probably have that 348 "outside" 300 days a year and it is in a canoe, dog sled, airplane. It would not surprise me if on occasion that the rifle is used for something besides a rifle.
Joel may have his in the field hunting 14-21 days a year

Joel that is a nice rifle for sure

Guy, that Number 1 wants to hunt, needs to hunt.

Ya, it's been three or four years since the Number One shot a bear...

I think it would be a dandy elk rifle as well, but I've never seen a legal elk while carrying it.

Guy

Europe":39oqwox7 said:
Cheyenne, you probably have that 348 "outside" 300 days a year and it is in a canoe, dog sled, airplane. It would not surprise me if on occasion that the rifle is used for something besides a rifle.
Joel may have his in the field hunting 14-21 days a year

Exactly! Typical hunters have their rifles in the field a few days, or at most a few weeks annually. Cheyenne must have hers in the field for many months. So, it gets a LOT more wear.

Guy

Thankful Otter":1zvvt14n said:
I agree with Guy, Dr Mike, Scotty and cleveland48, it is beautiful!

I have a question for you fellows as I have noticed many of you have beautiful rifles and I always wonder how you keep them that way. do you keep them covered right up to the last minute before a shot and then take them out shoot and then put them back into a case, even a cloth bag perhaps ?

I do take care of my rifles as they are tools of my trade and they must always be in dependable working condition, but a week--month--or soon anyway after I get one, it will start to show signs of being in the mountains and/or ice on a daily basis. How do you do it fellows ?

That rifle is still pretty much new. I've had it to the range a couple times but I haven't had it out hunting yet.

I could have taken it to Bridger Teton Natl Forest last year for elk but I chickened out. It's quite a rocky area and I fall down a couple times every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelkdouglas":zhxvl70h said:
I could have taken it to Bridger Teton Natl Forest last year for elk but I chickened out. It's quite a rocky area and I fall down a couple times every year.

I clearly remember falling the first time with my .25-06 700 CDL which was new at the time... Initially I was so angry with myself for denting up the stock on that rifle...

An hour later I was fine. Reconciled myself to the fact that it was a hunting rifle and was going to have dents and dings, and wear marks. I've been fine about it, and other rifles ever since.

Guy

FOTIS":26klfdb7 said:
Antelope......no clue
Deer............no clue
Elk..............no clue

No help huh?

I don't have a clue either at this point.
I'll rotate rifles based on best one for my hunt plan.
If hunting away from home I take 2.
Somehow I usually get around to them all before the seasons are over.

Guy Miner":3s6k46zz said:
joelkdouglas":3s6k46zz said:

I clearly remember falling the first time with my .25-06 700 CDL which was new at the time... Initially I was so angry with myself for denting up the stock on that rifle...

An hour later I was fine. Reconciled myself to the fact that it was a hunting rifle and was going to have dents and dings, and wear marks. I've been fine about it, and other rifles ever since.

Guy

You are absolutely right of course. It will be a much treasured rifle when I spend years hunting with it!

Back