Pondering 2017 fall hunting rifles...

While I am still getting used too using my 280AI and the 35 Whelen needs to get out again this fall (y).
My youngest boy is going to be hunting Whitetail with us and he has a new to him 270wsm in the Win model 70 and from what I have been told it is likely going to take a lot of patience to get a Model 70 to group as small as my Remingtons ,just saying :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

I am sorry to hear that some things dont change and that some of the nonsense Kelly, Pat, and Aleena experienced is now being directed at Cheyenne. I dont know this but it would not surprise me if the same malcontent is involved in trying to destroy Cheyenne's life.

I would like to thank the forum for allowing me to "speak" too Charles, here and to thank him for his kind words. Best of luck on your hunt Charles, and best of luck to everyone on there fall hunt's

with respect, Charlee[/quote]

Charlee,

Always good to hear from you! Thanks for this and to say I thought a lot of your Grandfather would be an understatement. And the same goes for you, your mother, Jerry/Aleena & Jamila, Bill, and your grandmother. Cream always rises to the top and you fine folks represent that.

And I do not think anyone can derail Cheyenne for long. She has way too much going for her.

Thanks again,

chs

I recently picked up a 260 Remington built by Jon Beanland so I'm going to hunt with that rifle this year. Just deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be supplying rifles for 2 sons and myself on deer and elk this year.
For mule deer I will select 3 rifles from 243, 270, 7mm-08 and two 30-06.
For Spike bull elk it will probably be the 7mm-08, 30-06 and 300 H&H.
Most of these are interchangeable and I will focus on the most accurate loads.

Camo

Guy Miner":26rq4okg said:
Fotis - I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Maybe a huge Weatherby for antelope and a tiny, fast Weatherby for elk?

Just for fun!

You might have something there!

Thinking that I need to get my Model 88's out and hunting this fall, the 284 Win on deer sized species and the 338 Federal for the larger species. Of course the bows will be carried along too!

And of course the new 6.5x55 Swede will need to be hunted with too!

These "derailers" should be careful while they are working on the track.......... As they may find a freight train; bearing down on them ???
It's actually darn easy to go from the hunter to "the hunted"

35 Whelen":39ldyrta said:
These "derailers" should be careful while they are working on the track.......... As they may find a freight train; bearing down on them ???
It's actually darn easy to go from the hunter to "the hunted"

Exactly ! . Good observation and statement Earle

As I ponder... My .30-06 is there in the safe. All cleaned and oiled after the Alaskan Adventure. Still sighted in with 200 grain Nosler Partitions... Claiming to be the answer to all my rifle hunting needs. It makes a point...

Then the .375 H&H Ruger Number One chimes in, saying "Hey, remember me?"

I may have scotched the .25-06 from the season by loaning my 6x scope to a friend! Yikes!

Guy

Whitetail deer: archery in October, then rifle from mid November until January 31st. We are allowed 5 does and 3 bucks, so I'll use a few different weapons this year. New Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM, sporterized 98 Mauser rechambered to 30/06, 1953 Winchester model 94 in 30/30, and my old faithful S&W model 29 44 magnum that goes with me regardless. Really gonna try to bag atleast a deer each with the old Mauser, and win 94. May pull out the old colt Python toward the end of season for some thick timber hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get this one out of the safe...

4RgGPp9.jpg

But the Mashburn still needs love too!

WOW!

What a beautiful rifle!

Ya. Use it. Whatever the cartridge!

Guy

Lovely rifle, Joel. I should imagine it could become a favourite, if you're not careful.

I agree with Guy, Dr Mike, Scotty and cleveland48, it is beautiful!

I have a question for you fellows as I have noticed many of you have beautiful rifles and I always wonder how you keep them that way. do you keep them covered right up to the last minute before a shot and then take them out shoot and then put them back into a case, even a cloth bag perhaps ?

I do take care of my rifles as they are tools of my trade and they must always be in dependable working condition, but a week--month--or soon anyway after I get one, it will start to show signs of being in the mountains and/or ice on a daily basis. How do you do it fellows ?

Most of us don't use them everyday.

I think that's really a big part of it. My only daily-use gun is my .45 1911 pistol. It is battered, the finish is rubbed away, down to bare steel over a lot of the gun.

My hunting rifles come out of the gun safe, into a padded case. Go to the range. Come home, get cleaned, and put away in the gun safe. The most use they see is every week prior to a big hunt, or prior to hunting season. Much of the year they sit, protected, in the safe.

They get used pretty hard in the field, but they're only in the field a couple of weeks a year.

My old SWAT rifle was an exception. For many years it was used three or four times a month. Not only did I wear out barrels from all the shooting, but I had to re-paint it frequently.

The rest of my rifles are pretty lightly used most of the year.

In Alaska, one of my guide's rifles, a wood-stocked .375 H&H Remington 700, was a real mess on the surface. Stock worn badly. Painted-on finish coming off... But it had some real nice machine work done to it!

Guy

Guy's assessment is pretty much spot on. Any rifle that gets carried frequently will show that it has been handled. I do have a couple of rifles that have had the stock refinished--and that was after a couple of seasons. The use was not hard, but it was frequent those years.

Back