pondering on a new rifle

I'm killing myself, because I am trying to get caught up with scoping rifles that are glassless, but I don't seem to be able to quit buying rifles! Dangit!

lol, I am the same way BK, get a rifle all lined up and the have to take the scope off when you get a new one. Friggin scopes are about the same price as a rifle is the problen. :lol:

Several years back a good friend of mine asked me to get him a 270 WSM in Remington CDL (I had an FFL then) so I was watching for the best deal when I got a call from one of his sons telling me to stall since the kids had already purchased a Kimber Classic 270 WSM so I stalled and stalled until his birthday (funny after the fact, he told me he was getting pissed off at me for stalling) - I set it up for him and he loves the rifle, has already taken quite a bit of game in the Wallowa's - He wanted a CDL because he "has to have wood in his hands" ... and this guy can hunt

I gotta get back to work!

I was looking at the used rack at one of my local big boy's toy stores and found this:

DSC_3563.jpg

DSC_3562.jpg

DSC_3561.jpg

It's a Howa 1500 Stainless in 7 WSM. I read on another board (24HCF, IIRC) that the Howa action was the way to go for WSMs. And since the 7 is the most interesting of the short-fats to me, I had to snap it up. Now, I need to figure out a scope, buy some brass and dies, and order a McMillan, because it has a Hogue on it. Love Hogue handgun stocks, rifle stocks not so much. Besides, I'm really becoming infatuated with the bowling-ball look of the McSwirleys.

I am a little late on the post, my vote was gonna be 4 the 204 or the 223. Very economical to feed and clothe, as compared to the others and a whole lot easier on the body..

I get a fair amount of per diem from working out of town so much, and whatever is left over is toy money.
Amen to that buddy.. Hotel brkfast in the morn, some rabitt food at lunch and Subway for supper, the rest is mine... :mrgreen: And I POV it when I can....... 8)

Nice grab on the WSM...

Rod

Thanks, guys! I figured I was going to have to re-barrel a different WSM to get a 7, since it appears that only Browning chamber for them anymore, but the I lucked into this. This is my second Howa (well, technically my first, since the other is a Weatherby Vanguard, but same-same), and they are kinda starting to grow on me. Mountain hunting rifle they aren't, but for most of what I do, they'll be fine. Besides, I have other arrows in the quiver for that.

Rod: I have actually ordered a McMillan A3 stock inletted for a Remington 700 SA with the factory Varmint contour, so the .204 (or maybe a .223 AI'd) is in the works. Is buying a stock for a rifle you don't even have a bad sign? :oops:

No BK, I think ordering the stock b4 deciding is a wise decision as it trims down your options and commits you to a certain direction. At least that my way of thinking, this time.. :lol:

I am doing almost the same as I am talking a stockmaker, getting that specced out and then get the action which I know what I want already. Its the cartridge selection that has me waffling all over. So in that regards I have two yrs to decide what to chamber the dang thing in.... :wink:

Rod

I will be TAD till March, starting tomorrow, so I should be able to get something that I really want! Looking forward to knowing what it is! Scotty

I'm bored out of my skull, and I ordered a new Mickey and some rings already this morning, so I'm digging through some old threads. Interesting to see how things turned out.

BK":106o1o4z said:
Just what the title says. I'm hankerin' for a new toy (even though I should be looking at a new safe). It's getting kinda hard to find holes that need to be filled... my thoughts are:
1. A heavy barreled bolt action in .204 (most likely) or .223. Yep, .204 Ruger
2. A .300 RUM M700 SPS or SPS-SS or ADL-SS Sorta, M70 Sporter
3. A WSM of some sort - Howa or Weatherby Vanguard if I can find one Uh, yeah! Two 7 WSMs, one .300 Wizzum, and a .325 Short-fat.
4. What I'm leaning towards, a Ruger African in .375 Ruger, or Still looking
4a. An M70 Super Express in .375 H&H Still looking
5. A Marlin Cowboy .45-70 (dang you Pop!) Still looking
6. I guess I could just wait for the 700CDL-SF in 6mm to come out. I think I talked myself out of this one.
7. Ruger Number 1 .300 H&H Sorta, again. Remington 721.
As I said, I'm pretty well covered with deer/elk rifles, and I have an HB .220 Swift Ruger. My biggest gun is a .35 Whelen. So I guess one of the .375s would make the most sense.

Of course, I could probably be pretty close to the cost of #2 and #3 with one of the big boomers.

I guess I'm looking for opinions and/or a nudge one way or another.

Yeah, I thought so. Wise move, deflecting incoming fire like that!

I've done dies, bullets and ammo, but not a trigger. That's impressive!

It was a special run made by Remington. Kool blue in 6mm rem.

Back