Portable loading bench (for the pickup?)

bsmith

Beginner
Aug 26, 2007
It's a long way from our house to anywhere that we can shoot. I was thinking that since I have an extra Rockchucker and an extra scale, that I might build something that I can put on the tailgate of my pickup and use as a loading bench at the range. I'd think it would great to be able to load the smaller increment loads right there while working up a load. Sure would beat having to go home and load once you got close.

Any thoughts, ideas, plans, pics?

Thanks,

That's perfect! I'll start mine tonight. No need for heavy clamping since I will be only be seating bullets at the range, not sizing. Might need a little clamp or weight to keep it from tipping off from the weight of the press. Nice find, thanks TScott!

Mount it to a hitch and put it in the receiver when you`re at the range. It won`t tip or move on ya no matter what then.

Ol` Joe":3nhh3s67 said:
Mount it to a hitch and put it in the receiver when you`re at the range. It won`t tip or move on ya no matter what then.

PERFECT IDEA!
Good thinking Ol` Joe. :wink:

JD338

I was thinking something along the lines of the old "campaign chests" used in the civil war, and probably earlier. Basically a chest with a front fold down flap that gives you a work space when open, and closes up for storage and transport. The military versions had separate folding legs for setting up in a tent in the field. There's also another thread on one of the reloading forums where a guy designed a custom top for his B&D workmate, that might do well clamped to a tailgate or mounted somehow to a hitch receiver.

Andy

BigJakeJ1s":2lub9vzw said:
I was thinking something along the lines of the old "campaign chests" used in the civil war, and probably earlier.

The Boy Scouts use a Campsite Food Chest that looks a like what you described. Could easily be modified to be a portable bench and hardware instead of rope to hold the front in the open position.

The problem I see with the hitch idea is trying to get it level enough to use my 5-0-5 scale. I do like the sturdiness that it would provide though.

If you used a hitch mount, and then added a couple of adjustable legs (think carriage bolts and t-nuts at the bottom of wood legs) you could hitch it up, then drop the legs simply to level and steady it. Or you could just use one of the Frankford Arsenal portable stands, and set it next to your truck. I think they still make them. Check their website.

Frankford still has them but where's your sense of adventure? I can build something for twice the price and take three weeks to do it instead of ordering it. :grin: I am a little pressed for time however.

For my press I've developed this stand:

reloadstand_1.jpg

reloadstand_2.jpg

Here's one I found in my travels on the net. It uses the Workmate altered slightly. I haven't made one yet but will eventually!

benchportablex200.jpg

benchportablex271.jpg

Folds up nicely.

Rick

Blazergun, hey that looks sorta like those old exercise gliders. Come to thing of it, I've got one holding up clothes in my bedroom! I wonder if I could hook up my press to it, and get a cardio workout while reloading?!

Andy

BigJakeJ1s":2zbk6h0a said:
Blazergun, hey that looks sorta like those old exercise gliders. Come to thing of it, I've got one holding up clothes in my bedroom! I wonder if I could hook up my press to it, and get a cardio workout while reloading?!

Andy

Only time I use it for exercise is when I'm reloading :wink: funny because I was as well puzzling with if I should rebuild one of these exercise gliders, but I ended up with building this from scratch and I’m very happy with it, I use it as well on the shooting range.

I dont know who sells it but somebody makes a shooting bench w/ seat that fits a reciever hitch. It would be easy to mount a small piece of plywood to that that could hold your reloading equiptment.

Back