Potential build....

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Ok, I have a Mauser 98 action that is currently chambered for 25-06 with a featherweight shillen barrel that doesn't shoot worth a crap. I'm thinking about starting from the action up and building my first custom rifle.

So...a few questions. What barrel manufacturer and why? I'd like to stay in the mid caliber range, something that falls between my 22-250 and my 300 mag. So basically a good long range deer/antelope/coyote gun. The 6.5x47 lapua has my attention....any other thoughts along those lines? I just have no idea why you would choose one barrel maker over another as they all seem to say basically the same thing so I'm looking for any personal experience.

I have a bad feeling that this could become addicting......my wife is not going to be happy with me!

Hart barrels are excellent, very accurate and they clean up in a snap.
Look at the 280 AI. You can push a 120 gr BT at 3400, 140 gr AB at 3250 and the 160 gr AB to 3000 fps in a 24" barrel.
Covers everything from coyote, deer, antelope and elk.

JD338

I like my Lawton Barrel. Great customer service, and they usually have a decent stock on hand. They make single point rifle cut barrels, and for the budget minded person, they also make a nice button rifled barrel. Hart barrels are all button rifled.

Antelope_Sniper":2gz22uiy said:
I like my Lawton Barrel. Great customer service, and they usually have a decent stock on hand. They make single point rifle cut barrels, and for the budget minded person, they also make a nice button rifled barrel. Hart barrels are all button rifled.

That is great to know.

8)

Thanks. I'll have to do some looking at the Lawton and Hart websites.

Initially I was looking at Douglas, Brux, Krieger and Shillen. Any clear winners out of those 4? My Dad had a 220 swift built with a Douglas that shoots little bitty bug holes but I've heard some people cuss them too. Is it kind of hit or miss with what you get?

Antelope_Sniper":ybsmdoip said:

I got my Lawton barrel about year before Barney pass away and the last year heard quality took a hit. Theirs still a sponsor on LR but their site is down. Hate to see it happen.

6.5-06 or if your adventurous 6.5-06 AI

280 AI is tough to beat

even a 25.06AI would be sweet

read some ballistics the 6.5-06 is not very far behind the 264 win mag

I think the 280 is a bit bigger than what I'm looking for....if I would shoot it with a 280 I might as well shoot it with my 300. I guess to be a little more specific I think 6.5 is about as big as I want to go and preferably something with a mild recoil and pretty economical to reload that has pretty long barrel life. Oh, and I want it to be an absolute tackdriver. I will take accuracy over speed on this one. Don't know much about the 6.5 rounds other than they have good BC's and from what I've read most of them are very accurate. I had considered the .243 AI but something about the 6.5x47 just seemed more exotic to me. I don't know anyone who has one but from what I've read online so far is that they are very accurate. Would there be any problems putting that cartridge in a long action? One plus would be not worrying about seating depth being limited by the magazine but would there be any feeding issues with it?

Well, The 6.5 -06 will be a barrel burner that for sure, whereas the 280 is not. If you don't want bigger than 6.5, then a 257 Robert will be another option in both the original or the Ackley version. Another good chambering that are easy on the barrel, and mighty accurate would be the 6.5X55 Swede. If you want the 6MM bore, a 6MM Remington or the Ackley version will be your best bet.

Shoots_5

Take your pick on the barrel Mfg - the two mentioned are great. I have a Douglas on my 22-250 that has been a great barrel.

I'm in the process now of rounding up parts and pieces to put a 6.5x47 Lapua together. I have (2) Remington 260's that have driven me towards the Lapua. The long action is probably the best bet for the longer 140gr flavor bullets. Depending on how much you plan on shooting / reloading, the Lapua certainly has a higher initial investment ie dies, brass etc. Performance is that of the .260 with slightly less powder. Twist rate on the barrel will be important / dependant upon weight of bullet you'd like to shoot.
The 100gr B-tip out of the .260 is a yotes worst enemy - loaded with the 130gr AccuBond you're elk worthy.

Other options would be the standard .260 or the .260-AI for something different. Nosler has great brass for the .260 as well.

Let us know what direction you decide.

why would a 6.5-06 burn barrels any worse than a 25.06?

A typical 6.5 bullet has longer bearing surface for it's weight. The 6.5-284, has about the same capacity as the 6.5-06, which is well known among shooting community as a barrel burner. 25-06 don't have that notoriety. Any cartridge is a potential barrel burner if you let the barrel get hot enough.

Desert Fox":3iezl2yp said:
A typical 6.5 bullet has longer bearing surface for it's weight.
Nobody ever said that high BC was free, LOL.

I'd personally favor the 260AI or 6.5-06AI, but that is due to

A: an aversion to trimming brass. less time trimming is more time shooting and

B: I have a 264 turn neck with a 8.5 twist and get pressure at loads I could reach with a -06 case, so what is the point of the darn mag powder consumption??.

Lastly, 06 brass is cheap, regardless of whether you rework 30-06, 270 or whatever, it'll be cheaper than 6.5-284 brass.

Build carefully, cuz you won't get your money back if you sell your build. So, it has to be a rifle you want to keep. Otherwise, you'll just be buying another barrel and starting over. Barrel buying is much more rewarding at 2500-5000 round intervals I've been told.

JT

shoots_5,

One of the big problems today is trying to get a good barrel been almost 4mos on the 5r barrel from Kreiger and I was alittle late on getting that barrel ordered. I try and get the barrels ordered late summer that way I can get the rifles around Feb to Apr the following year. I had 3 other in the works besides the Kreiger barrel I just got the 30-338mag waiting on the Chanlynn and Bartlein barrels to be chamber.

Alot of good barrels being made today. Not sure if you have a gunsmith lined up but might want to talk to him first on before ordering a barrel sometimes those guys can get a barrel faster. Well good luck

I'm putting a Pac-nor on my 280 AI. A good firend of mine uses them as well and all his shoot under half MOA.

There is a lot of good barrel makers out there, shilen is one of them. Sorry you got a dud, it happens from time to time I guess.

My last 25-06 was on a 700 with a shilen and the thing shot 1/2 MOA consistently with anythign I fed it...

Only other rifle I own with a custom barrel is a 700 in 338 EDGE and it wears a HART barrel. Shoots and cleans up great, shoots 1/2 MOA from the beginning, cleaned up in less then 10 rounds, actually come to think of it, didn't really technically even "break it in" Shawn just said to shoot it a few times and clean it and be done with it...

Cant really go wrong with any of the high end custom barrel makers.

Although I would have to say I want to try a Krieger or Mike Rock 5R one of these days...Next rebarrel is my 700 in 7 RM. It will get one of the above barrels, more then likely a Mike Rock 5R...

Id do something in the 6.5mm Great for anything, antelope up to elk and everythign in between. Great BC's for LR shooting. 6.5-06 would get my vote. Stick a 130g AB or 140g AMAX/VLD and your set for anything in NA hunting wise to an easy 600-700 yards, and great for LR steel banging out to 1K.

Back