Powder for 300 swim?

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
A good friend has asked me to load for his 300 WSM. He is sold on 150 ttxx Barnes. Given the powder supply I’m going to be limited in powder selection and effort. What powders would this esteemed body recommend?

Generally, medium burn powders will work well with this weight of Barnes bullets. I'd look at RL17 and perhaps MR2000 in newer powders. The old standards of RL15 and W760 are still hard to beat in that particular weight bullet.

Try RL17, RL16, Ramshot Hunter, H414, W760, HLVR, Viht N550, CFE 223, Ramshot Big game, IMR4895

I used a good bit of 17, 19, 4350, etc with 165-200’s in a few of mine. I also use RL15 with 165’s a few times.

It’s really a great cartridge and that 150 TTSX ripping out will be a sweet combo.

Mine prefers 190 gr. LRAB and RL-17.
Superformance does deliver the claimed speeds with 15o and 165 g. bullets, but not at the accuracy level I was looking for.
I have some Stayball6.5, but haven't yet tried it in my WSM.

Mine prefers 190 gr. LRAB and RL-17.
Superformance does deliver the claimed speeds with 15o and 165 g. bullets, but not at the accuracy level I was looking for.
I have some Stayball6.5, but haven't yet tried it in my WSM.
That’s a good combo I bet. That 190 is overlooked sometimes but it’s probably a sweet spot in the WSM.

I wont’ start working with the rifle until late May or so. I have a variety of heavier .30 calls I’ll play with as well, but he really wants to run the 150s. I like the cartridge so I’m just going to try to wear out his barrel while its here.

I wont’ start working with the rifle until late May or so. I have a variety of heavier .30 calls I’ll play with as well, but he really wants to run the 150s. I like the cartridge so I’m just going to try to wear out his barrel while its here.
I like when folks leave their stuff around.. Gives me a chance to experiment;);)

If you can't spend someone's money shooting their ammo is the next best thing. Dan.

Back