Powder measures

Tooter

Beginner
Oct 23, 2009
My brother is looking for a different powder measure. What do you guys use and what are pros and cons of each? Anyone have one of the JDS units advertised in the gun magazines?

I have an RCBS powder measure, and I haven't used it in at least seven years. I use a silver spoon and a glass ramekin. For larger amounts of the same charge, I use an RCBS Chargemaster.

I have the RCBS Uniflow which I only use for mass-production pistol and mil-surp loading. I usually load up range fodder for my 45ACP, 9mm and 357Sig in large batches. I've found the Uniflow to be more than adequate to meet this demand. For rifle loads, minus M1A and M-1 Garand loads, I use my son's silver first baby spoon and ramekin like Doc does.

I'm working on a low energy 130BT load to use for high volume range shooting from a .270Win. Once I find a good load I'll probably use the Uniflow to crank out a couple hundred rounds.

I took to using stainless steel measuring spoons and dipping from my trickler or the powder cannister years ago. That, in combination with my beam scale, is how I charge all my rifle rounds. It's a little slower than I'd like, and I want an electronic dispenser, but for now the budget won't support it. Maybe if the tax man would quit taking all my fun money every April 15th!

I have a RCBS powder measure, I have used it for 35+ years without a single problem.

JD338

I use a Honrady lock n load powder measure

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Loa ... re-1-Each/

I use it for everything because it is faster than the spoon method...however on my precise loads I will dial it a little light and trickle the rest in.

It throws ball powder to the same charge every time all the time. To the tenth of a grain exact all the time.

Other powders won't throw like that all the time. Then again I don't know of a manual thrower that will dispense all powder types every time exact. (Not talking about the ones that you dial the charge in electronically )

I still use a Lyman #55 measure that I bought in 1964, along with a Lyman Ohaus 505 scale (1964) and a Hornady digital scale (newer) and a trickler. Slow and sure but has never let me down and is pretty accurate.

I have a couple of RCBS Uniflows. a while back I was looking for something new, but I think I'm going to go with the RCBS electronic scale/powder dispenser.

For years I've thought about getting a Quick Measure, but somehow never got around to it. It looks as if it is well designed and capable of delivering consistent charges. Anyone ever try this powder measure? http://www.quick-measure.com/

I have used the RCBS Chargemaster for the last few years. It has to be simple cause even I can use it :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I have the hornady powder measure and the lyman. Both work great.

I have a Pacific that I haven't used in years. It only got used when I do a large batch of handgun ammo. Then I picked up a couple of RCBS Uniflows. One is set up with the large drum and the other with the small drum. I got tired of hving to switch back and forth. They get used mostly for handgun ammo and ball powder loads for rifles.
Main measure today, especially for the large stick type powders like 4831, I use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Definitely a God send when working with those stick powders. I've even gone to using it with the ball powders. Where it really comes in handy is when doing load work up. You can dial in the starting load, run say 5 rounds, stop it and dial in the next charge for the next 5 rounds and so on all the way to the max load. Each charge is weighed as it's dropped into the pan, no readjusting the balance beam and having to trickle charges, a great time saver in my estimation.
My ex-son in law has the Lyman version of the Chargemaster and he likes it a lot. Says it's been trouble free for him.
I went to ball powders many years ago because of the time consuming throw light and trickle the rest powder charging with the 4831's. It was a compromise that worked but was not totally satisfactory. Now with the Chargemaster that is no longer a problem.
Paul B.

My nearly 50 year old Lyman Model 55 PM works great for metering pistol powders and is never more than .1 grains out of spec. Even with IMR SSC powders it is usually within .2 grains.

DrMike":1qxz9was said:
For years I've thought about getting a Quick Measure, but somehow never got around to it. It looks as if it is well designed and capable of delivering consistent charges. Anyone ever try this powder measure? http://www.quick-measure.com/

I've been using one for the last four years. Like any measure it has a leaning curve. Where I initially ran into trouble was not holding the tubes up long enough to allow them to fill completely.

I only have two minor complaints. One, the reservoir is a slip fit on the base and if you happen to bump it you'll have powder all over the bench. My "plan" was to install two 6-32 thumb screws, one on each side so I could easily remove it for cleaning, but one wrap of black vinyl electrical tape has worked so far!

Two, the flange on the adjustment tubes are thin. They're only thick enough for three threads and kind of a sloppy fit for adjustment screws. They tend to wobble and cause some variance in the charges, it changes the tube setting on the fly. As a quick fix I installed springs between the screw heads and flange to put some tension on them. I think a piece of brass tubing about a 1/4" long threaded and soldered to the flange would solve that issue. ( When I get a "Roundtoit" :grin: )

Overall I'm pleased with it, but still use my 55s for spherical powders.

Here a comparison to some other measures from 2005 >>> http://home.comcast.net/~davidawilson/LongRange/QuickMeasure/QM.htm

Bill

Back