POWDER SELECTION

Another vote for the Ramshot especially on the small rifle cartridges like the varmint rifle calibers in 223 and 22-250 and the auto pistol carts like the 9mm.

I'll have to say it again Viht Just found my best load to date today with Viht N-165 in a .300RUM

I would like to see Nosler consider replacing the "old" ball powders typically used for load development with more modern, improved powders of similar quickness.

Example, why list H-414 data when H-4350 is available that is much less, temperature sensitive, cleaner burning, and doesn't require a magnum rifle primer.

In general, I would like to see data for all the Hodgdon Extreme line of powders, the Ramshot powders (modern ball powders that are temperature insensitive, clean burning, and have additives to reduce copper fouling), and the 5xx series of VVN powders.

I wouldn't waste time developing new data for the old ball powders that burn dirty, are sometimes difficult to ignite, and are very temperature sensitive (meaning some loads can be unsafe at high temps). I would continue to publish the data using these powders that has already been tested....just replace these powders with a more modern version on new development.

I shoot the big Weatherby's Retumbo, and RL-25 for me
I have had great results in the 300 Weatherby with these two powders

Thanks.

From my perspective the first thing I look at in Nosler is the bullet weight of specific interest based on the application - for example 180 gr for 30-06 and Elk or 160gr in 280 AI for Elk... or 200gr for 300 win mag for Elk (all my own preferences - but that is where I start lookin')

Then I go down the list to see what the max velocities are for all the powders - then I see which of the top two have best accuracy with highest velocity and that is where I start.

So - I'm interested in more options in the highest velocity 'deliverer' for that specific weight bullet. I base hunting decisions around the bullet/velocity combination - then find the powder/primer combo that delivers the best accuracy for that weight.

I would like to see data for Retumbo and RL25.
Also would be nice to have data for Ramshot powders.

NOSLER":1b02n8qt said:
What powders do you need us to develop data for?

Dear NOSLER,
I know you are more (I hope not exclusively :cry: ) focused on the US market and I understand, but please do not forget of us European shooters who do not want to switch our habits to the other side of the pond's customs :wink:

I am sure I can speak on behalf of other shooters when I say data for NORMA Powder, as well as data on very common long lasting EU calibers would be very welcome.

NORMA is a very well-known powder brand here in Europe in all types.

I personally use the 204 both for my .270 Win and my 6,5x57R and I am very happy so far.

Also, some of the following old-time european calibers should (in my opinion) be included within your data (if not already...) :

5,6x50 Mag/5,6x50R Mag
6,5x57/6,5x57R
7x64/7x65R

Just my 2 cents.....hoping you're listening :wink:

Cheers

Hi !
I use Nosler bullets and reloading data for all my hunting, and for most of my target shooting. Since I started reloading in the early 90`s I`ve reloaded different cartridges; 6,5x55, 270 Win, 7x 57, 30-06 Sprng, 338 Win Mag and 375HH.
I must admit I sometimes purchase cheaper bullets for volume practice. I have also tried other bullets for hunting, but went back to Nosler bullets.

Mid 90`s we could get American powders over here. Hodgdon and some other brands to.
Today American powders are not exported, at least not to Scandinavia, thanks to the villains of the world.

Only powders sold here is Swedish Norma and Finish Vithavuori. Norma is a good powder, but very expensive. I therefore use Vithavuori, mostly N160 and N165.

Nosler reloading guide has data for the "N-powders" for most cartridges.
But sometimes I would like to have alternatives.
Example : I am thinking abour rebarreling one of my rifles, to 30-06 Ackley Improved. Havent made the final decicion, still considering.
Nosler # 5 provides loading data for the AI, and with the "N-powders".
For bullet weights up to 180 g the velocity increase from the standard 30-06 is obvious.
But not that convinsing for the heavier bullets ?
Not an expert, but I guess some other powder than N165 perhaps would give the desired velocity increase ?

Just an example this, generally I`m very pleased with Nosler reloading data . The #4 edition, battered and with loose pages, is placed in my bookshelf, I now use the #5 edition, and will buy the #6 as soon as it reaches Amason.com.

Keep up the good work !

I'll chime in on this somewhat old thread for more powder choices for the 7mm SAUM. I am currently using Nosler 150 grain ballistic tips, with H4831 powder. I would like to see loads for Ramshot Hunter, as it is somewhat less expensive here locally. Have heard good reports on it as well. IMR 4831 would also be a good choice for this round. H4350 with the lighter bullet weights. Going to try 150 partitions next in my Ruger. Not a lot of powder choices listed in the Nosler #5 manual for the 7mm SAUM. I realize this is not the most popular cartridge out there, but I really like mine, and would really appreciate a more complete list of powders to try. using Nosler's reloading data. I also agree I'm not too keen on Hornady's manuals loads. I much prefer Nosler's manual layout, and trust their data much more. Thanks.

I see alot of loading for pistol rounds 357 41 44 in carbine rifles. But there is alot of experimenting going on. Makes me nervous. Hodgen Lil Gun seems to have alot going for it.

RRIES":1jo8uhvu said:
I see alot of loading for pistol rounds 357 41 44 in carbine rifles. But there is alot of experimenting going on. Makes me nervous. Hodgen Lil Gun seems to have alot going for it.

This is all I use in 357 44 and 500 mag.

Back