Powder valley big game

michsteve

Handloader
Aug 20, 2020

Big game on sale with free hazmat they are the 1 lb containers if I already didn't have an 8lber I'd be buying some.

I've been using Ramshot Hunter more, and got some Big Game to try as well. So far so good with Hunter. I think Big Game should work out well too.

I've used BigGame in a 6.5 creedmoor, 7x57, and 8x57 and it's performed great with the bullets I've tried it with.

I've used Hunter in 6.5 creedmoor, 7x57, and 280AckImp. It too has been great, but lately it's been nonexistent as far as finding any.

I've used BigGame in a 6.5 creedmoor, 7x57, and 8x57 and it's performed great with the bullets I've tried it with.

I've used Hunter in 6.5 creedmoor, 7x57, and 280AckImp. It too has been great, but lately it's been nonexistent as far as finding any.
Opposite here. Seems like Hunter is always there at the 1 shop, BG is there, then it's not. But wait a month and it's there again for a bit. Generally runs $28 per lb for both.

I don't have anything against Ramshot powders for their intended uses. Good powder. Only thing I wish is that they didn't have such a gap in commonly used burn rates. They are kinda missing anything in the Varget/ 4064/ Reloader 15 range. They go from Tac which is faster than both the 4895's to Big Game which is right handy IMR 4350.

Opposite here. Seems like Hunter is always there at the 1 shop, BG is there, then it's not. But wait a month and it's there again for a bit. Generally runs $28 per lb for both.

I don't have anything against Ramshot powders for their intended uses. Good powder. Only thing I wish is that they didn't have such a gap in commonly used burn rates. They are kinda missing anything in the Varget/ 4064/ Reloader 15 range. They go from Tac which is faster than both the 4895's to Big Game which is right handy IMR 4350.
But Accurate has their 2495, 4064, and 2520 which falls into that range.

But Accurate has their 2495, 4064, and 2520 which falls into that range.
True, but not at Ramshot pricing, but not hateful prices either so it is an option. I've never used Accurate brand powders. If Ramshot would fill that gap I'd look to building up with them as my exclusive powder. They are available here, particularly at the 1 shop, and cheap.

I've used quite a bit of accurate powders in a large variety of cartridges with good success. I'd love to see A2520 available again. It became impossible to buy after the big fire in Belgium a few years past.

I have had excellent results with AA 2015BR in the 35 Whelen and AA 9 in the 44 Rem Mag. Good powders.

JD338

I've used quite a bit of accurate powders in a large variety of cartridges with good success. I'd love to see A2520 available again. It became impossible to buy after the big fire in Belgium a few years past.
Available here for $32.99. Maybe it's older stock that wasn't used up yet, don't know? Not as cheap as Ramshot powders but certainly way cheaper than Varget or IMR 4064 is currently.

Right now because I have plenty of it for the time being, I'm substituting H4895 at a lower charge in place of IMR 4064 with 30-06's and 150 gr bullets and it's working just fine but I might have to try some of that 2520. Will save my H4895 for me if it works.

Back