Powder variation lot to lot...how do you deal with it?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Have a couple tried and true (I thought) loads for my 250. Im getting signs of pressure and think maybe I need to scale back. Do you guys start over w/ load development every time you crack a new pond of powder? I enjoy the reloading but not starting over and messing w/ all the variables again. If Remington or Winchester had to do this each time they got a new batch of powder they would load ammo. How do they do it? CL

After doing a load development with a pound of powder, and if I find that the powder works very well for a particular rifle, then I order a 8 pound jug which will last a while, but need to redo the load development again, its mostly within a grain more or less between lots. I don't blame you that its indeed a pita doing load development all over again, I just rather shoot and experiment less.

I always shoot over a chrono with my keeper loads and retain that info. When starting a new lot of powder I drop down 2-3 grains and load 1 shell each at .5 grain increments up to my old load. Shoot them over a chrono and when you hit the same velocity with the new lot as the old lot that is your new load. Never found accuracy to be any different even when the charge weight is to achieve the same velocity.

OU812":31lvgi16 said:
I always shoot over a chrono with my keeper loads and retain that info. When starting a new lot of powder I drop down 2-3 grains and load 1 shell each at .5 grain increments up to my old load. Shoot them over a chrono and when you hit the same velocity with the new lot as the old lot that is your new load. Never found accuracy to be any different even when the charge weight is to achieve the same velocity.

This. My rule is that anytime I change a component, I verify by dropping back and ensuring that it is safe. Not only powder, but primers, bullets and brass have delivered some surprises over the years. Companies seldom inform the buying public when they make an "insignificant" change to a bullet.

Great post.. Even though I've been loading for several years, posts like this one helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not being a bench rest shooter and not much into the new practice of shooting animals from long distances I seldom push the envelope on the hot side. For my needs I've never had an issue with different powder lots but if I was going to load a hot combo I expected to use for a while, I would either load a large number of rounds from the same lots, or back off when switching lots.
If I need more speed I buy a rifle in the same caliber with a larger case capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This doesn't really affect me much. I guess I use 1lb of IMR4831 a year and haven't noticed any change at all year on year with my zero or bullet performance in my hunting rifle.
Or indeed with other powders.
But, my useage is very small as I don't really do range time very often.
So, I never have to re-develop my go-to load from lot to lot...maybe I should!!! :roll:

Got me Troy, I have only experienced significant pressure changes, when changing primers, or case manufacture. Not similar powder charges.

Alderman":10705581 said:
Not being a bench rest shooter and not much into the new practice of shooting animals from long distances I seldom push the envelope on the hot side. For my needs I've never had an issue with different powder lots but if I was going to load a hot combo I expected to use for a while, I would either load a large number of rounds from the same lots, or back off when switching lots.
If I need more speed I buy a rifle in the same caliber with a larger case capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My approach, as well.

DrMike":e9comjgq said:
OU812":e9comjgq said:

This. My rule is that anytime I change a component, I verify by dropping back and ensuring that it is safe. Not only powder, but primers, bullets and brass have delivered some surprises over the years. Companies seldom inform the buying public when they make an "insignificant" change to a bullet.

Same here. I use the chronograph to bring me back up to speed with a new lot of powder.

Back