Pre Season Shooting

Gerry,
That's my neighbor buddy with his Rem 700 BDL in 30-06. I got him set up for longer range shooting with a VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm and a CDS dial. He's shooting a Nosler 168 BT at 2800 fps. He's taken a handful of deer with that setup and they have all been DRT kills. He's new to long range but managed to get bits on all the gongs except the 800 with his rifle.

JD338
I like that set up, the LH BDL's are such nice rifles.

We got our preseason long range shooting in yesterday. Ranges were 225, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 800 yards.
With a total of 6 shooters, I knew we were going to be cutting it close with lack of daylight.
My buddy and host Bill shot my 308 at 225 and stacked 2 hits on the gong with it. He also was shooting a custom 30 Nosler that he built and an Aero Precision Solus in n 6.5 Creedmoor. That thing is an awesome rifle.
The 338 RUM did very well with first shot hits on every gong. The rifle, load and drop chart are spot on which makes me smile. One down note is the 500 yard gong was hit so hard by the 338 250 gr AB that it lost its hook on the right side so it was only hanging by 1 chain.
I opted to pass on shooting the 375 H&H on the wounded 500 yard gong. Instead it put 13 MOA on it and sent a 260 gr E-Tip on the 10" 600 yard gong.
I was rewarded with a solid hit at 2:30 a couple inches from center! The hit at 10:30 is from the 338 RUM, it hits hard.
The 338 RUM went 4 for 4 on the 800 yard gong. Not the best group but it was getting pretty dark. The VX6HD 3-18x50mm did it's job and we all heard the impacts float back to us.
Sue did a great job with her 30 Nosler too with several first shot impacts.
Sorry I didn't get more pics but it was busy spotting and playing range safety officer.
We had a great time and are confident the deer are in trouble.

JD338
Looks like everyone is ready for some crop damage deer.
I also see a nice field beans.

Crop damage deer is one season I do not have here.
We typically take 20-25 deer off the farm annually.
It allows us to use different rifles, bullets and loads...all proven on the range of course. We keep what we want and give the rest to family and friends. These deer are soy bean fed and have never gone to waste.

JD338

Looks like everyone is ready for some crop damage deer.
I also see a nice field beans.
just hope the piggies don't find it! when they find peanut fields they'll destroy it faster than a town full of people could shoot them. glad ya'll had a great range day!

I went out two days ago. 102 degrees in La Grande, Or. So Smokey could hardly see 300 yards. Three shots and the bbl was too hot to touch. No steel either. Stray spark and everything will go up in flames. Hell they have the freeway that runs from Portland to Boise shut down for 130 miles, Pendleton to the state line at Ontario Oregon for that massive 250,000 acre fire just 60 miles east of us. That fire nearly doubled in size in 48 hours. News tonight is that they are afraid it will jump interstate 84 east of Baker, Oregon someplace,

It's pretty hazy in Yellowstone and the Tetons due to the smoke from the fires.

JD338

It's pretty hazy in Yellowstone and the Tetons due to the smoke from the fires.

JD338
If you head out of the park towards Ennis, stop at Shed Horn Sports. Got a great gun shop there. Old school, racks of new and used out on the floor. About an hour from west Yellowstone.

Back