primers for 270 win

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
I’m about to reload my first round of 270 win.

I normally hunt in temperatures between 25 and 50°F
but it sometimes get to 0° and even -5°F
i have on hand CCI 200 and BR2, rem 9-1/2 M and fed 215.

Which would you start testing with?

I’ve hunted and shot in those temps and never had a regular LR primer give me problems. This includes loads over 60 grains. Also never heard of it happening 2nd hand from anyone I actually know. I don’t doubt it can happen but if it weren’t for the internet I don’t think I’d even know it was possible. The only problem a magnum primer has ever solved for me is tightening up of wide velocity spreads in loads over 60 grains but that has been rarely needed. I think the right answer is whatever primers you can find these days.

I have used mostly Fed 215's and CCI 250's in the 270 Win and have had no issues at all with magnum primers. A bit hotter primer doesn't hurt in cold weather. The others will work but we save them for the smaller rounds.

gerry":vzgsyhis said:
mostly Fed 215's and CCI 250's in the 270 Win and have had no issues at all with magnum primers. ... others will work but we save them for the smaller rounds.

Gerry is spot on. U you OU didn’t mention the bullet or jump.

My rule of thumb for Cup and Core is 0.002” jump to start and increase the jump from there. Bonded bullets I start at SAAMI spec, usually that works fine. I have gone a little longer and shorted, but that’s been the exception for me.

If you have a chrono, check the STD Dev in velocity. If you are single digits, you should be golden. I’ve seen 30 FPS work fine too, not sure I understand why...

Apologies if I just motivated you to drop more coin. You can do well without the toys. I am a bit of a gadget guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used CCI 200 and BR2 with IMR 4350 in my 270 for years with no problems, any of those you listed would work fine. Lately I have used magnum primers in my 280 Rem, just because I'm getting low on standard primers and they work good as well. I just backed off and worked up the load again, wasn't much difference.

What powder? If ball 215 or 9 1/2M also for compressed loads. I have used WLR primers in a 270 from -5 to 80 IMR powders and R-26.

Been using cci 200's for 40 years in the .270. I load stick powders for this cartridge.

I would be comfortable using CCI200, R9.5 or F210 in my .280 while hunting in northern BC, especially when using something such as H4831 or H4831SC. I did use IMR4831 for years, and I never had a round fail to ignite in temps down to -30 C. There is nothing wrong with using magnum primers, but I never found them to be necessary with standard cartridges.

Back