Pro-Hunter vs. Gameking

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I have used many different bullets over the years and nearly all of them have given more than satisfactory results!

My question is this - Is there any real difference between the Sierra Pro-Hunter and the Sierra Gameking assuming the same bullet weight in each design?

I have heard the Pro-Hunter has a slightly thicker jacket but the boat tail obviously has the b.c. advantage. If the Pro-Hunter has a thicker jacket then it should in theory retain more weight so that's the way I am leaning.

I am mostly interested in the .308-150 and .308-165 grain bullets here. A friend has asked me to load up some cup and core deer loads for their .30-06. I recommended the 150 grain Ballistic tip with the book load but he wants to use Sierra bullets and IMR4350 since "that's what Dad used."

Who am I to trifle with tradition?

Thanks -

Dale

Construction is similar. The difference is between a flat base and a boat tail.

I have enjoyed good performance with either in various calibres.

Going to go with a mild dollop of 58 grains of IMR 4350 and the 150 grain Gameking. He is going to practice over the spring and summer and then go for Western Oregon Blacktail in the fall.

Thanks again Doc.

Dale

The pro hunter have a tendency to offer more "predictable results as far as jacket core separation goes. I found them a bit tougher and not so prone to do so.

I started out using the 165s in the 30.06. Matched them up with IMR 4064 and was a successful combination. They grouped decently and while not the hottest load, they did well on the Blacktails and even elk.

Using the prohunter in my .25-06, when I find the bullet (rarely) it has a good 70% retained weight.
My understanding is the jacket is somewhat thicker than the GK and this is referred to in some research carried out by an independent.
Oddly enough, I never really achieved great results using the Sierra GK in my rifle and abandoned tests when by accident I discovered the Prohunter shot extremely well from the outset.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html
Quote:
The counterpart to the 100 grain GK is the 100 grain Pro-Hunter, an equally fast killing bullet at moderate ranges but with a stout jacket for greater reliability when hunting medium weight game. Both make an excellent combination for hunters who mostly target lighter species of game.

58.8 grs. of IMR-4350 165gr Sierra BTHP Gameking has been very accurate in over a dozen 30/06s that I load for. That set-up has killed a lot of whitetail, hogs, one Elk and other animals. Rick.

I can't compare the two because I've never tried the gamekings but I've killed countless deer with the pro hunter in various calibers. For some reason my rifles have always preferred the flat base spritzers just a little better than the boat tails. My brother will say the same thing about gamekings, that's all he shoots and swears by them.

I've used the 117gr in the 25.06, the 150gr in the 30.06 and my daughter has killed quite a few deer with the 120gr in her 260. I still have quite a few in the cabinet though I don't use them much anymore except for practicing. I've pretty much standardized with the Nosler BT's for deer hunting. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again or recommend them to anyone. They are good bullets and have always been very accurate in my rifles.

FOTIS":1pns8gvy said:
The pro hunter have a tendency to offer more "predictable results as far as jacket core separation goes. I found them a bit tougher and not so prone to do so.

This is what I found as well. I Shot 3 Whitetail with 180 GK in a 300 Win Mag. the range under was under 50 yards on all 3, I didn't get an exit on 2 of them . One only went in about 5 " just far enough to cut all the arteries in from of the heart , obviously it killed the deer. I found only chunks of that bullet . Later I killed 2 deer with them in a 30-06 with a 18.5 inch barrel and they worked fantastic at the lower velocity. I used pro hunter in 25-06 and 7mm Rem. Mag. with no issues and used 150 Pro hunters in a 300 Weatherby WOW just WOW. Killed like lightning, pretty hard on the eating parts though.

I did call Serria to ask about the 300 Win results and they recommended the pro hunter for the 300 win. More interestingly the person I talked to said the 165 BTHP would be even better. I switched to the 180 Partion and solved that whole issue. good hunting KH

Agree - they're both good bullets - selected and used properly.

And this is from a serious Nosler fan - yes, Sierra still builds a good all-around bullet. Usually very accurate, and quite capable on game. I'd shoot whichever, flat base or boat tail, shot better from that particular rifle.

Guy

...You might consider the 165gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing, I've used 'em on a number of elk & mule deer, along w/ the 120gr. .25 & 130gr. 6.5 on mule deer, & the 160gr. 7mm on elk & mule deer, very good accuracy & terminal performance across the board...

...200yd. cold bore check w/ practice ammo...

...200yd. cold bore w/ hunting ammo, there was this spider, it was a big hairy spider that jumped right up on my scope lense, yeah, it was a spider, that's my story, & I'm sticking to it...

Timely thread since I'm ordering a few bullets today. Think I'll try the 6.5mm 130 gr HPBT for the 260 and 308 180 gr pro Hunter for the 30-06 this time.......

Those bullets will perform very well for you in those cartridges, Gerry.

DrMike":7o5fa7fl said:
Those bullets will perform very well for you in those cartridges, Gerry.

I'm sure they will. Going to get some 165 gr Speer Hot Cor's for the 30-06 as well to go along with what I have on the bench already. Then it will be time to see what the gun likes :)

I hunted with the 140 gr game king this year in the 6.5 creedmoor. Shot two does with it at about 2650 fps. Both less that 50 yards, and both only weighed around 100 pounds. Both bullets exited through the shoulders. I was happy with their performance but I also wonder how they would do on a 200 pound bucks front shoulder at close range too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any flat base bullet tends to hold onto the core better than almost any boat tail bullet! Something about how its made is the only difference. Me personally, I don't care if a deer bullet loses its core. On elk or bigger, a heavy flat base ( say 180 .30 Cal) does very well, although the Sierra 200BT does well at 30-06 velocities.

rick smith":vlllmwc0 said:
58.8 grs. of IMR-4350 165gr Sierra BTHP Gameking has been very accurate in over a dozen 30/06s that I load for. That set-up has killed a lot of whitetail, hogs, one Elk and other animals. Rick.

The HP's are more robust gamekings

preacher":3dbjpz47 said:
Any flat base bullet tends to hold onto the core better than almost any boat tail bullet! Something about how its made is the only difference. Me personally, I don't care if a deer bullet loses its core. On elk or bigger, a heavy flat base ( say 180 .30 Cal) does very well, although the Sierra 200BT does well at 30-06 velocities.

I agree about not caring if a deer bullet loses its core. I don't shoot cup and cores for elk and the like anyways. I loaded these up as a deer load, nothing more, nothing less. I went with the Gameking boat tails since none of my Sporting Goods outlets had the Pro-hunter design in 150 grain.

Any 150 grain bullet on top of the old standard load of 59 grs of IMR4350 will get the job done from zero to way out there on deer!

If he decides to hunt elk I will load him the Partition or AccuBond in 165 or 180 grain.

Thanks for all the advice fellas -

Dale

Back