Pro-Hunter vs. Gameking

Per Sierra's manual some of their HP are tuffer than their spitzers. The 140gr .277 for example. I think their both prohunter bullets. Likely the same for 165gr .308's.

I would definitely agree with Fotis on the Sierra bullet comments. I've used the 165 grain .30 caliber gameking out of my 06 on deer with excellent results. I've used both the 180 grain gameking and pro hunter out of my .300WSM on elk and had very good results. I'm not a shoulder shooter as I like Elk meat so both mentioned bullets went in the boiler room.

My experience is limited to two caliber's the .243 Sierra 85gr Gameking HPBT in my 6mm Rem and it is a shooter. My Remington 700 BDL from the 1970's shoots 3 shot groups averages of under 2.2 inches day in day out. I have even shot a 7/8 inch group with it and it has a old Weaver Steel tube 3x9 wide field scope.
The above group size is for 300 hundred yards yes 300 yds. My Son had complete pass through at just under 400yds on a Antelope and DRT.
In my .264 Win Mag I tried 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter and IMR 4350 and at 100 yds nothing special and I gave up on them never using them for Hunting because I could not get decent groups size.
I also tried 140gr Game King BTSP with H 4831 and never was impressed with this combination, I will try again someday with Retumbo just to see what happens, and to use them up.
I am sold on Nosler 120gr BT for my .264 Win Mag under 2.5 in group average under at 300 yds.
This last fall I did shoot a young Mule Deer at just around 100 yds and I think I may need to start shooting a heavier bullet, while I did get the deer It was not pretty. I have had great success with this bullet on Antelope and Mule Deer in the past but I am beginning to think my .264 Win Mag might be pushing this bullet to hard. I wish I could have this shot back.

I mostly likely will look to Nosler's 129gr LRAB or Hornady's 143gr ELD-X

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 7,375
My question would be where is he hunting and what distances will he normally be shooting deer at?

If he never shoots more than 200-250 yards, then the Pro a Hunter would be the better choice. If he will/may be shooting more than 300 yards on a regular basis, then the boat tailed GameKing would be the better choice; and only because he will actually benefit from the design at the longer ranges.

Either way, they are both good bullets and will get the job done!

The Pro Hunter proved to be fur friendly to coyotes, and really way to heavy in the jacket for them in my opinion.
I am guessing Elmer has got it pegged, his experences hammering Scottish Red Stags certainly confirms its a Blue Ribbon
Deer bullet !

One of the best Deer bullets I have ever used is the 165 Grain Sierra GKHP in the 308 thru 30-06.

Back