Problem with seating depths

bowhuntr09

Beginner
Nov 16, 2005
I had a friend come over tonight to show me the ropes with reloading since I am new at this. I have the Lee Anniversary kit and RGB dies and we were trying to load for .270 using Winchester brass and 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. No matter what we tried we could not get consistent OAL on any of the 10 rounds we loaded. I don't mean each one was off just a hair, there were big differences in OAL with out us making any adjustments between rounds. Sometimes when we were making adjustments to the seating depth we would put a round back in to seat it a little more and it would actually end up longer than when we started. It's as if the seating die is pulling the bullets back out of the brass. My friend has been reloading for years and seems to know what he is doing, does any one have any ideas? Is there a problem with the dies and ballistic tips or some trick to it?

Did you adjust the seating die so that the built in crimper is not touching the case mouth? Correct shell holder? Are you measuring OAL or to the ogive? Remove the seating stem from the die and clean the inside of the stem. FL or neck sized?Rick.

I'd follow Rick's checks or questions. Also seating depths can change as you load probably due to the locking nut moving. I figure it's the threads on the die changing its position. I've seen as much as .010" change and .005 is common. If you are getting more than this variation then I'd check Rick's suggestions. It's possible that you are crimping before you’re fully seated.

bowhuntr09":15oyby9k said:
INo matter what we tried we could not get consistent OAL on any of the 10 rounds we loaded. ?

If the load you are using requires quite a bit of powder compression to get the bullet seated, this will sometimes lead to erratic bullet seating depth. If this might be the case, use a powder drop tube and/or vibrate the powder level downward in the case before trying to seat bullet.

Lee Carkenord

We were not crimping at all, yes it was the correct shell holder, we were measuring OAL end to tip and FL sizing. We were shooting for 3.430 OAL and were getting anywhere from 3.420 to 3.480 all with no adjustments in between. There was no rhyme or reason as to why it would change that much between each load. I spoke to someone at Lee a little while ago and he said that there is a pilot hole in the seating stem and that I should drill it out to make it larger. He seems to think the ballistic tip is getting hung in the stem. I will check that as well as the case neck inside diameter after sizing to be sure it is sized correctly. I have had many responses from others saying they thought it was a sizing issue. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. BTW, does anyone have any comments on the load of H4831SC @ 60gr. along with the 130gr Nosler ballistic tip? This is in a Savage 110 with a 22" barrel. If I haven't mentioned it already this is my first attemt at reloading.

How are you measuring? By any chance are you using a Stony Point OAL guage? The reason I ask is that there's a slight learning curve involved in this. When I first started using one my measurements showed a lot of variability. Now they usually duplicate the length from one measurement to another, but it took a little while to get the hang of it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

This is what I do:

I place a bullet into my dummy case, chamber it into my gun, remove it and measure it for Cartridge Overall Length. I will then push the bullet into the case another .030 to .050 or more if needed. Place the dummy round into the seating die with the Seater Plug backed out. Run the bullet to the top of the press stroke. Then turn in the Seater Plug until it touches the bullet. At that point I will tighten down the Lock Nut and leave it. I will record with my load data ONLY the change that I made from the first Cartridge Overall Length bullet touching the land’s measurement.

I figure that if I record the change that I made that the next time I have to set up for this load all I have to do is chamber a new dummy round, check the COL, reduce it by the recorded value, then set the Seater Plug. The Seater Plug should then be set the same as it was the last time I did that load.

I am using a regular dial caliper to measure total OAL. The thing I find most odd is that when trying to seat several rounds just a little more to get to the desired OAL the seating die actually extracted the already seated bullet almost to the point of it coming back out of the brass. Something must be getting stuck somewhere for it to pull the bullet back out. The plastic ballistic tip seems like a likey cause. I will try drilling the seater stem out some so that it does not get stuck in there and see where that gets me.

I'v run into this also especially with compressed loads but not only with. I seat the bullet with a series of short seating strokes while rotating the cartrige to overcome it. If it persists I put just a little case lube on the bullet. Some bullet shapes fit just right in the seating die and it hangs up and won't release. If you look at the bullet after it has been stuck and pulled back out some from the case you can see the dull ring where it stuck. Thats where to apply the case lube. The expanding ball on your re-sizing die could be a little large or rough also which leaves the inside diameter of the neck a little large which reduces the necks ability to grasp the bullet. You could try another set of dies or another type of bullet and see if that changes the outcome. Good luck!

Try measuring just the bullets with your calipers and see if they show any difference in length. The stem is probably holding the bullet.
Don't have the Nosler Manual in front of me but I would think that 60grs of H-4831 with a 130 is right close to max in a 270Win.Rick.

The OAL from base to tip will vary. Get a Stoney Point tool and measure the OAL with it from the OGIVE to the base and you`ll find you`re a lot closer then you thought.
If you are playing with your die trying to get each cartridge to be exact from tip to base you have just defeated the dies ability to seat consistantly off the ogive. Each bullet is now varying from ogive to lands which is the important measurment. The oal to the tip is only important when considering if the cartridge will fit the magazine. Set your die to the lenght you want and lock it and leave it alone, once you find the best depth for accuracy with that bullet in your gun.

I have the same thing with my RCBS turret press and dies. Even with the Accubonds I find the OAL measurements are not always identical. I don't see it making any difference in accuracy but if I am close to max OAL for the clip in any particular rifle I am loading for I have to pay attention.

Long

I agree with Ol' Joe......As long as the locking ring isn't moving, the seating stem should be seating the bullet (measured from the ogive) to the same depth. That is all that matters (discounting magazine concerns). The bullet's distance from the lands is only concerned with the ogive....not the overall length. The OAL (end to tip) is inconsequential to accuracy. Depending on the bullet shape at the ogive, a variance of .060" is not hard to imagine. Using a Stoney Point, or similar, will tell you exactly what is happening.

Blaine

The ballistic tips are getting stuck in the seating stem and pulled back out of the case. Several times now I have brought the arm back down to find an empty case. I have had to open the die, remove the stem and retrieve my bullet that was firmly wedged in it.

Not enough neck tension, the seating stem needs to be replaced or reamed or a combination of the two. Contact the die manufacturer, they should correct the problem for free.Rick.

Back