PSA on muzzle brakes

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
I was at the range today, doing a little work on my neglected 338 Jarrett and 56 year old 06. Because I hadn’t done any load work with the 06 in 20 years or so I decided to load some 180 accubonds with some RL 26. I used Nosler data which had the bullets about 5/100s off the lands. Certainly shot well enough, that I’ll try shortening them up just a little to see If that helps. Velocity was the big surprise, avg 2917 for 5 shots; SD was 18.5 so I need to play with the load a little to see If I can improve on that. 2 MOA correction got me just a little high at 300, so I think the new Garmin is giving good data.
Next up was the Jarrett. I’ve had the rifle for a long time, always been one hole accurate. The first four shots nearly gave me a heart attack. Looked like I had fired a load of buckshot at the target. Next target was just as bad, maybe worse. I’m scratching my head, looking at the rifle and I see the brake is loose. Snugged up the brake and shot a nearly one hold group but I pulled one just a little south. All is right with the world. The Jarretts velocity was right at 2950, just like always.

Attachments

• IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8806.jpeg
    IMG_8806.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8807.jpeg
    IMG_8807.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 6
RL-26 is something special when you’re looking to maximize a cartridge.
I’m guessing the middle target is the Jarrett with the vertical group. My 416 and the boy’s 378 were notorious for the brakes coming loose. 1 wrap of teflon thread tape cures that.

RL-26 is something special when you’re looking to maximize a cartridge.
I’m guessing the middle target is the Jarrett with the vertical group. My 416 and the boy’s 378 were notorious for the brakes coming loose. 1 wrap of teflon thread tape cures that.
Yes middle group was the 338 pic three is the Jarrett doing what it normally does.

Back