Pulled Accubonds vs. Out of the box AB's?

280SOLIDBASE

Beginner
Dec 25, 2007
Recently I purchased 2 boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade 130 gr. Accubonds factory ammo (.264 Win Mag). Since I purchased the ammo just for the brass, I pulled the bullets and put them aside, dumped the powder, deprimed and reprimed. After reloading with 140 gr. BT's and not being overwhelmed with their performance, I decided to try some 130 gr. AB's. Since I did not have enough (40) from what I pulled; I purchased a box of 50 AB's. The pulled bullets have a cannelure, the box of 50 AB's I bought do not. Does anyone know why there is a difference? One would assume that I should not notice a difference in performance between the two, or should I just set the pulled ones aside and buy another box without the cannelure, do my testing with identical bullets THEN try the AB's with the cannelure to make sure they do in fact perform the same? Any input would be appreciated!

I don't think you will see a difference between bullets with a cannelure compared to those that do not have one.

My understanding is that all 'factory produced' ammunition is crimped, so maybe Nosler produce a version with cannelure for factory ammunition production. I'd agree it's unlikely you'd see much if any difference in performance compared to the usual bullet without a cannelure.

Having said that, I use a Lee factory crimp die on my reloaded rounds (110gn AB) and I see the benefit of doing so with more consistent MV's and lower ES readings batch to batch, - all other things in brass prep and recipe being equal. :grin: ATB ET

I shoot both the ones with the crimping groove and without. No differences that I can tell either. When I buy them as 2nds sometimes they come with grooves, sometimes without. Either way, they work nicely. I'd load and shoot.. Chances are they will work fine.

That is about what I had figured. They should shoot the same, and if they do shoot different, my 49 year old eyes most likely wouldn't be able to tell anyway!...lol.

280B if your eyes do find problem you could send them a number of us who eyes are much older I really don't want to mention names right Dr.Mike :lol:!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1rr6oc6a said:
280B if your eyes do find a do find a problem you could send them a number of us who eyes are much older I really don't want to mention names right Dr.Mike :lol:! Blessings,
Dan

Man alive it's not just my eyes that plague me, I think I wobble more too - not to mention having to pay nearly twice the US $ price for anything firearms related that comes from the USA...& that's nearly everything! LOL :mrgreen:

Oh, yes, strange things are happening as my body betrays me. The mind says, "You can do this!" The body says, "Not so fast!"

DrMike":2cooojh5 said:
Oh, yes, strange things are happening as my body betrays me. The mind says, "You can do this!" The body says, "Not so fast!"

Ha ...! It's not just me then. LOL :lol:

ElmerThud":2gdaevme said:
DrMike":2gdaevme said:

Ha ...! It's not just me then. LOL :lol:

I'm tellin' ya', there's a lot of this goin' 'round, me bye.

Back