Pulling bullets from loaded cartridges

rpalmer

Beginner
Jan 1, 2017
I used an RCBS Collet style bullet puller to pull 100 rounds of 7MM Rem Mag cartridges. The RCBS puller worked fine so I plan to salvage the bullets and powder to reload with a few grains less powder. Is it necessary to remove the decamping pin and resize my brass that was full length resized prior to my original loads. I was surprised that some cases were so easy to pull and others required a heavy tightening of the collet and forceful tugg to remove them. I can tell that the neck tension of my cases is all over the place. Should I remove the decamping pin and resize before reloading?

I do take out my decapping pin and resize . do you lube your case neck , or bullet , before seating the bullet ? I've been dipping my bullets in powdered graphite before seating , for the last few years . I can feel how consistent the pressure is when seating a bullet , compared to seating a dry bullet .

You can just back the decapping pin off so as not to remove the primer or just get a neck sizer to resize the neck of the brass since the brass neck was stretched when seating the bullet the first time and you won't have good tension on the bullet.
I also sounds like it's time to anneal your brass before loading and for that you will need to remove the primers. By annealing you will get more even and consistent neck tension on the bullets.
I anneal my brass after each firing though some say it's not necessary and it probably isn't unless you shoot for extreme accuracy.

Truck Driver - my eyes got this big :shock: when you mentioned annealing brass, and having to remove the primers first! I could just see someone NOT popping the primers out, then heating up the brass...

Might work, but not this fellow! :grin:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Meanwhile - ya - I really like to use a neck die for consistent neck sizing. Helps with consistency. Not pulling some danged expander ball back through the neck of the case. Works well for me, though I have to admit, I've built good ammo with standard full length sizing too.

Guy

Guy Miner":eao6hr4e said:
Truck Driver - my eyes got this big :shock: when you mentioned annealing brass, and having to remove the primers first! I could just see someone NOT popping the primers out, then heating up the brass...

Might work, but not this fellow! :grin:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Meanwhile - ya - I really like to use a neck die for consistent neck sizing. Helps with consistency. Not pulling some danged expander ball back through the neck of the case. Works well for me, though I have to admit, I've built good ammo with standard full length sizing too.

Guy
Gee Guy you have to have a little excitement in your life. Though I did say to remove the primer first but can you imagine just removing the bullet and not the powder also before attempting to anneal his brass :?: :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously one should never anneal brass except after it's been fired.

"Seriously one should never anneal brass except after it's been fired."

(y)

Back