Pulling M2 Ball bullets?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
Back when ammo was inexpensive, I bought a couple cans of US military M2 ball ammo in 30-06. This had been reloaded by a South American military in 1982, as printed on the can, and wholesaled out in the early 1990s. Each US 50cal ammo can held 440 loose rounds, padded by heavy cardboard. Century International Arms sold each can for $44 shipped. I am glad that I stocked up. Recenty I sold a couple of the cans, but still have a lot left to enjoy. The only problem that I have found, is that when the ammo was reloaded, the propellant loads were not metered consistantly and while the mean weight is 50gr. of propellant, it varies 1/2 grain either way! I discovered this because a rifle that I know shoots US M2 ball ammo very well, was scattering groups with this reloaded ammo. The cans are marked in Spanish, but WC852 is clearly stated as the propellant. Still, when I pull each round, I dump the propellant first into a small dish to see that it is ball propellant, before I dump it into the hopper to use for reloading. 48gr. looks like a good starting point, so I am hand weighing each load to 48gr. and then seating the bullet out close to the lands, to see how accurate my work will be.
Evidently, all the cases were fired at least once and upon firing, I am getting one in twenty with split mouths when I retrieve them at the range. These, of course, are put into the brass recycle bin with crushed mouths.
Does any one have a favorite propellant load for 30-06, 150gr. FMJ, using WC852?
Best,
Steven

Roy, I've had good luck with wc852 in both the .270 Win, and .338 WM, but I have not tried it in the 30.06.

Here are the Mil-spec loads for it:

M2, Armor Piercing:
165.7gr Bullet
55 gr WC852
2715 fps
54,000 psi

M25 Tracer
Bullet 145.5gr
50gr WC852
2665 fps
50,000 psi

Official M2 ball actually calls for 50gr of IMR4895.

Hope this helps!

Back