Quality Basic Brass - 338-06 AI

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I was given a bag of Quality Basic brass that is head stamped 338-06 Ack Imp. I've never formed anything from "basic" brass, so would like to get some ideas of the steps needed to form this to 338-06 Ackley Improved. Please share your thoughts.

I'd run it into your FL sizing die until you get a snug fit myself. Looking or a little tension as you fully turn your bolt into battery.

Basic brass is straight walled like 45/70. I'm thinking there has to be some steps to prep it to forming it into 338-06 Ack Imp. If I run it into my FL sizing die the way it is I'm thinking it would crush the case.

I don’t think it will crush it. I’d probably take your expander ball out, lube it well with Imperial Sizing Wax and go a little at a time. Once you get them formed enough to fit your chamber run the expander thru well lubed necks.

I did the similar awhile back with Weatherby 500 basic brass.
66D42D8E-0DF9-4062-8D17-7C9A89E2A9D1.jpeg
1 First the brass has to be annealed
2 Then sized with a 460 WBY die to start shoulder
3 Trimmed to 460 WBY length
4 Annealed again and sized again to make 460 WBY case
5 Then sized with 416 WBY die and trimmed again
6 Sized in 378 WBY die , trimmed , and annealed again.

I made cases for my 460 , 416 , and my sons 378 this way. You will lose some cases in the beginning.

Thank you. I wasn't thinking about the annealing steps. I crushed my first case just using my 338-06 Ack Imp sizer with imperial wax. Will try:
Annealing
start shoulder with 35 Whelen die
check the length and trim, if needed
Anneal
size with 338-06 AI die
check the length and trim, if needed

We will see if this works.

A little trail and error at first will give you a rewarding feeling when you have brass you made your self (y).

Back