Question about 160gr A frame in 7mm-08

Strkr32

Beginner
Sep 14, 2020
Hello all,

First time poster. I've learned a lot just browsing through the tremendous amount of data that is on this forum.

I was hoping to get some input on a particular load and bullet. I was gifted a box of swift A frame 160 gr 7mm-08 ammo. Its supposed to be 2564 ft/sec per manufacturer specs. In you guys' opinion, what kind of water jug penetration would a 160 gr A frame at this velocity achieve? I know jugs aren't the most scientific medium but they seem to correlate well with practical hunting experience.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum. I'd guess you would likely find the bullet in jug #6. Give it a try and let us know. Post a picture of the recovered bullet.

JD338

Yes, the Swift A-Frame is an excellent bullet. Tends to open up pretty wide, but hangs together.

At the modest velocity you're using, I don't think it's likely to open quite as wide. But... I could be wrong.

Wider mushroom usually translates to a little less penetration than seen with bullets that don't open as wide.

Deer? Should be good to go. (y)

And welcome!

Guy

Guy Miner":1gzqs83z said:
Yes, the Swift A-Frame is an excellent bullet. Tends to open up pretty wide, but hangs together.

At the modest velocity you're using, I don't think it's likely to open quite as wide. But... I could be wrong.

Wider mushroom usually translates to a little less penetration than seen with bullets that don't open as wide.

Deer? Should be good to go. (y)

And welcome!

Guy

I'd agree with Guy on this. I'd bet 6 jugs on recovery. I am not sure what the minimum FPS is needed for the Swift, but I'd think it should be a small hammer in a 7-08. I'd like to see it though!

Oh very neat, I'll try to get this done soon. My work schedule is all wonky with this pandemic. I usually use the 120 gr tsx bullet , it's worked quite well for everything from whitetails to elk....but I can't not try free 160 gr ammo :grin:

Welcome to the forum, you will get great feedback from all these guys with expertise in reloading and other non related reloading stuff. I do agree that the Swift A Frame is a great bullet, with its heavy duty construction, it may not expand as much at longer ranges if using the 7mm-08 due to its mild velocity. It's worth a try, and I would love to see water jug tests using the 160 A Frame out of the 7mm-08, keep us posted with pictures soon. I'll say 6 jugs. :grin: Good luck

Back